Author Topic: Do they make a hickory infused patch? Cuz I can't stop smokin'!  (Read 12398 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Trying a new dry rub on some pork shoulder.  Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup paprika (Hungarian is best)
1/4 cup each garlic powder and onion powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup black pepper
1 tablespoon each oregano, thyme, cumin
2 tsp dry ground mustard
2 tsp coriander
1 tsp allspice

I have 15 lbs of pork shoulder in the smoker right now.  I generously applied this dry rub, wrapped in plastic, and gave it an overnight rest in the fridge.  I am going to give it 6 hours in the smoker with hickory chips infusing it's glorious goodness!

Along with the pork shoulders, I have a commercially made corned beef in there too.  It's a small one at just under 3 lbs and it was soaked overnight in 2 gallons of water to draw out some of the salt.

As if that was not enough, toward the end of the smoking process, I am going to add 6 lbs of brined chicken thighs to give them a flavor of smoke and get them partially cooked.  The chicken thighs will get pulled and immediately refrigerated.  They will end up on the grill to finish cooking later. 

All this goes on the table tomorrow night out in my backyard.  Pork and pinot noir party! May have to include some Pabst for the non-wine crowd.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Do they make a hickory infused patch? Cuz I can't stop smokin'!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:37:50 pm »
I have a Boston butt dry rubbed(similar to your dry rub, John) and in the frig since yesterday. I'll take it out of the frig tomorrow morning, let it come to room temp then seal with foil and slow cook it at about 275 to 300 deg for 5 or 6 hours in the oven.  Sometimes I chop carrots, onions, garlic, celery, apples and whatever is in the frig, line the bottom of the pan with the veg, place the meat on top, add a Sierra Nevada pale ale, seal with foil and slow cook it. More of a brazing I guess. Tomorrow it will be dry cooked.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 02:47:26 pm »
My whole neighborhood smells of smoke and meat cooking!  Just saw my neighbor across the street walk out into the street with his nose in the air like a bloodhound lookin' for Cool Hand Luke!  If he sneaks into my backyard he's gonna earn himself a set of chains.

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 04:45:07 pm »
Oh man, that sounds good! What kind of smoker do you have?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:27:40 pm »
I have a MasterBilt.  Can digitally control temps and time, but I am not limited to one manufacturer's "biscuits, I can use any wood I like. (or even apples)

The chicken thighs came out a little salty.  I only used a half cup of salt to a gallon of water, I guess I left them in the brine too long.  I will thaw some more thighs and grill them in the morning.  Then I will make pulled chicken from the brined and unbrined meat, together they should come out fine. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:33:02 pm by JW_Halverson »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 05:13:54 am »
Makin' Me HUNGRY JDub - sounds really good ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 02:17:34 pm »
Pulled the pork this morning (keep your comments to yourself, this is a family forum).  The bark penetrated a full 3/4 of an inch into the meat.  I carefully separated the fat from the meat and left it at that.  It was terribly tender and I didn't wanna turn it to mush.  I will reheat the pulled pork just before serving, along with some buns toasted on the grill, and all the usual stuff found at a picnic. 

The smoked corned beef is going to be sliced thin and served cold along with a selection of cheeses, crackers, pickles, and olives.

What's more satisfying than a good meal, good conversation, and good company?  I guess that is why Saturday night at the Tennessee Classic feeds souls as much as bellies.  Wish you were all able to be here tonite.  Thanks everyone for making this such a good community to be a part of. 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 03:17:57 pm »
JW, you sound like me-there's blue smoke rollin' here every weekend. Got some beef ribs and stuff on this afternoon. Those corned brisket flats smoked are then pastrami, great stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 03:42:34 pm »
JW, you sound like me-there's blue smoke rollin' here every weekend. Got some beef ribs and stuff on this afternoon. Those corned brisket flats smoked are then pastrami, great stuff.

Are you using cracked pepper and coriander on your smoked corned brisket?  Rollin' blue smoke!

Offline autologus

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »
Mmmm, bark.  JW you can just pack that bark up and send it to me that is the best part, I will just about fight someone for the bark.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 06:35:22 pm »
Mmmm, bark.  JW you can just pack that bark up and send it to me that is the best part, I will just about fight someone for the bark.

Grady

Hill-Wars have been started and fought for decades over lessor infringements of rights than taking more than one's fair share of the bark at a Bar-B-Que event in the Ozarks!

OneBow

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 10:15:14 am »
Sorry to tell you JW there is no cure... Only way to get off of the hickory is to buffer with other woods.. Apple is the gateway smoke... You know when you have a problem... -30C you move your vertical charcoal smoker into your smokehouse to do pork
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 11:37:36 am »
In colder weather, I have new smoking options coming into play.  For example, at temps below freezing, I set the smoker at 75 degrees F and smoke cheeses.  The temp difference between the outdoors and the smoker is enough that the heating element needs to kick on, ergo the wood chips in the pan on the element char and smoke is made.....yay! AND, best of all, the cheese does not melt and drip thru the grates/shelves.  Smoking cheeses in warmer weather is not possible with my current setup.  On the other hand, smoked cheeses are more popular in the winter with heavier meals and darker beers....summer time is for lighter fare. 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 12:17:22 pm »

Are you using cracked pepper and coriander on your smoked corned brisket?  Rollin' blue smoke!

Yep. Then slice it paper-thin on my slicer and pile it on some rye bread with mustard, pickles, cheese, and such.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:22:06 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 12:18:46 pm »
I think I just heard angels weep for joy, Hillbilly.