Author Topic: ELB Board bow.  (Read 1572 times)

Offline streamflyer

ELB Board bow.
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:22:44 am »
Hi guys. Ive decided that being short on time as i am dealing with a slight flyfishing addiction, i have decided to build a ELB out of boards. I am having a little trouble deciding what woods to use as i would like it laminated with contrasting colors. So far my best idea is Hickory backed Ipe but the problem is I'm not sure how to get a hold of Ipe around rapid city SD. Any thoughts on locating ipe, or perhaps a different belly wood that handles compression well enough for a D cross-section?

blackhawk

Re: ELB Board bow.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:48:09 am »
The best yew sapwood look alike in a laminte bow is maple IMO...and yew as the belly..but yew in slat form that's suitable bow wood can be hard to find ...ipe shouldn't be too hard to find and makes a nice looking substitute...search and find folks who either carry floor and decking lumber,or install them...if no luck use the trading post here...osage is always a good belly wood as well and should be easy to find..it'll darken naturally or ya can dye/stain it after finished to make something look like a yew elb belly

Offline streamflyer

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:37:34 am »
SHHWEET! Thanks. I just saw a flooring place in town yesterday. ill give them a call.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 11:49:06 am »
Blackhawk is on the money about the maple, and I got some yew slats from Brian/ Vinemaplebows he's a member here
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:50:25 am »
Ipe, osage, mulberry, yew, all will work for ELB style belly wood.  You could also use ash, elm and others a an ELB board selfbow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 02:49:44 pm »
We can make a trip out to Woodstock, east of town, to check for wood.  They have lots of great maple, both hard maple and soft maple.  We can look thru the piles to see what may work best for a backing.  But I guaran-doggone-tee they ain't got no yew boards!

Do you have access to a table saw or high quality band saw to rip the wood? Worse comes to worst, we can always use that big old jack plane of mine to thin the backing strip.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.