Author Topic: Advice Getting Started  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Tippecanoe41

Advice Getting Started
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:19:34 am »
Hey everybody.  I'm just getting into primitive archery and I'm looking for some advice in getting started.  Basically, I would like a place to start learning.  If anybody could recommend the best book for how to create bows, arrows, arrowheads, and so on, I'd appreciate your help as I start the hobby.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline red hill

Re: Advice Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:30:31 am »
Tip, get a copy of "Hunting the Osage Bow" by Dean Torges and "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible vol 1".  Both will get started right. And listen too these guys!

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 01:33:17 am »
To tell you the truth this is the place you need to be you will find everything you need to know is right here for the asking
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 03:19:38 am »
The bowyers bibles 1-3 are the biggest help starting bow making and the 4th is amazing but you probably should get it a little after you make a couple bows but the 4th has more arrow making stuff if I remember correctly. Get an old drawknife with a little curvature to the blade and pick one up at a flea market or ebay or something similar. Get a Nicholson #50 rasp and a farriers rasp too but the farriers isn't ABSOLUTELY needed but helpful. Pick up a goose neck scraper and a few rectangular scrapers. Check out boarriorbows on YouTube, and just look up as much as you can on the internet and ask questions here. This is how I started. You can get more tools and better tools if you please but I would say this is all that would be required. Welcome to the communtity!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:13:51 am »
Cut some wood, it can be seasoning while you are reading...
Even if the wood isn't the best, it will be something to have a go on and learn the feel of the wood and learn from your mistakes.
IMO much better to jump in early get started and make some mistakes rather than "learning" it all from books and expecting to make a bow by numbers and for it to be successful first time.
I'd say TBB 1 is a 'must have', the other volumes can wait until you need the specifics they cover... too much info too early wont stick.
We learn most by doing or watching.
Del
(BTW I wish people would give some idea of their location in their profile >:( ;), even if it just the country! (this site is world wide  :) )
I guess from your local time you are in the US)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:18:00 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 07:08:44 am »
Welcome to PA...looks like ya already found one of the best places to start right here!!!  :D get the aforementioned books,and do some reading and internet searching using Google,and then start trying to make one,and as questions arise that ya can't find in a book or using Google to search ask them here and they'll get answered

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 11:33:09 am »
So Blackhawk what your saying is "google is your friend"  >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 11:35:29 am »
To tell you the truth this is the place you need to be you will find everything you need to know is right here for the asking

No question. This site is better and more informative (up to date) than any old book. Heck, some of the authors hang out here, the good ones anyway!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DLH

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 01:37:08 pm »
Try to find a bowyer in your area too they are usually willing to help and will go out of their way to get you going.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 02:02:35 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 02:06:37 pm »
Hey Tippecanoe (and Tyler, too).  Not to put too fine a point on it, where are you located?

There are many folks on here from all over the place and you may be able to get someone to crack open their woodshops and let you use their tools while you get your kit together.  Engage in some risky business and make a date to meet strange person with odd habits...from the internet.   >:D

Oh, and definitely get a copy of The Traditional Bowyers Bible.  Page for page, there is nothing out there that can beat it. I have been working on understanding Chapter two for 11 years.  I have yet to get my head wrapped around all the physics of that one single chapter. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tippecanoe41

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:19:04 am »
I'm located in North Central Indiana, about 60 miles south of the Michigan Border. 

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 01:06:41 am »
Try to find a bowyer in your area too they are usually willing to help and will go out of their way to get you going.

I personally found this tip to be very important, except for the part where my payment was hauling loads of wood through the woods on my shoulders to the truck; that was just plain mean!
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 01:14:09 am »
Sounds like you've been given great advise so far above.  This site is the best.  People are so nice.  Never hesitate to ask any questions.  You'll get an answer quickly.  Welcome to PA.  Can't wait to see your work.  There are some build alongs in the build along section that are very helpful.  George's site is a great one too.  Bubby's build is a great one.  So is Gordon's hazel D bow.  And Pearly's recurve when you get a little more frisky.  I'm not quite there yet, but soon.  Just to name a few.  You are really in the right spot.  Have fun doing research.  That was some of the most fun for me, reading it all for the first time.