Author Topic: Osage Question  (Read 5843 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Osage Question
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:08:41 pm »
How much can a non perfect osage back withstand ?

I'm working on an Osage stave, but the guy I traded it for really hacked the back up, all kind of gauges everywhere,
I'll eventually back it with Rawhide, but how much do I need to get the back in shape ?

I know I don't have the expertise to chase a ring nicely so I like to know how much I can get away with  ;D ;D ;D ;D

thanks in advance
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Osage Question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:24:20 pm »
Rawhide can salvage a great deal, buddy.  With your experience, I don't think the learning curve on chasing a ring would be all that steep. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:35:55 pm »
Manny I have no doubt you are capable of chasing a ring. Osage really needs a good non violated back. Rawhide will help, but chasing a ring will make it unnecessary.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:38:39 pm »
Agree. Chase a new ring. You will be glad you did. This bow will benefit as will your future bows as a result.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 06:51:34 pm »
Chase it
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 07:01:09 pm »
My kids can chase an osage ring.  I'm sure you can to.   The guy you got it from probably just ripped the sapwood off quickly with the thought that you would take it down to a clean ring. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:07:38 pm »
Yeah, the one I bought last year came with the sapwood ripped off via saw, I did all the actual chasing. Seemed like a good compromise to me :)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »
Manny, even though osage is very strong it will at lease lift a splinter if he back isn't one good ring. A good sharp scraper will get you through a ring pretty quickly but can be gentle enough to finesse the perfectly chased ring. Bite the bullet and chase the ring.  ;)
 Rawhide does wonders but it will not hold a doomed bow together. Don't ask me how I know!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 07:59:58 pm »
I know what Pat is saying.... ::)  Rawhide only covers a flaw.....Chase a ring and get the most out of that limb without adding extra weight.   :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:05:30 pm »
I will stick my neck out here and say that there are exceptions with having a "single" ring for the back. Many times teaching bow making I have had people get discouraged with chasing a ring and violating a ring in the process. It is quite successful to have two different rings if they come together in the static handle area. I have done this many times because a beginner is about to give up on their bow because of violating a ring. Now you guys can let me have it. I got thick skin. :D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 08:11:32 pm »
I will stick my neck out here and say that there are exceptions with having a "single" ring for the back. Many times teaching bow making I have had people get discouraged with chasing a ring and violating a ring in the process. It is quite successful to have two different rings if they come together in the static handle area. I have done this many times because a beginner is about to give up on their bow because of violating a ring. Now you guys can let me have it. I got thick skin. :D

You are exactly right IMO Jon.....................As long its in the "no bend" handle area your good to go!
Dbar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 08:13:40 pm »
Chase a ring Manny. If I can manage it so can you  ;D
Gordon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 09:42:26 pm »
Chase a ring, Manny. My site may help. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/osage.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 09:48:24 pm »

I agree with you 100% Jon.  I have a character stave roughed out that had paper thin rings.  I think I skipped 3 rings in the non bending handle area.  A couple of years ago at the Classic a guy showed me his bow that had violations all over the limbs.  The rings were super thin.  He said he sanded the back with very fine grit sandpaper and soaked it in superglue.  The bow was his daily shooter.  You could tell it had seen a lot of use and yet it was holding together. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline autologus

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 10:12:14 pm »
If I can chase a ring on Kentucky coffee tree you can chase one on osage.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.