Author Topic: Osage board . . . need your ideas  (Read 6665 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Osage board . . . need your ideas
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:03:28 am »
Picked up an osage board at MOJam ... 1" x 1.5 x 72, quarter sawn.  Am relatively new to bow-building and 0 experience w/ backings.
Looking to be 'bout 40-45 lb @ 26".
Seeking conservative layout/design suggestions appropriate to this board and newbie bow builder.
Hope to hear from a bunch of ya!
Michael
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:27:51 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Osage board . . . need your ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:09:43 am »
Hickory backed osage makes a good bow from what I've read. Pyramid design is simplistic for beginners.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:10:56 am »
Michael, IMO a hickory backing(or bamboo but hickory is a simpler process)would be in order for an osage board bow and it will make a fine bow. I'd go 66", 1 1/2" at the fades and out to mid limb with a straight taper to 1/2" tips(for now). A 4" handle placed in the center of the bow with 2" fades. This will give you a bow of almost any weight you want. The hickory backing should be about 1/8" thick and the bow glued up with about 3" of Perry reflex. TB glue will work just fine for this bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »
Pat, what is Perry reflex?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:13:13 pm »
You are 1/2 way to a breath takingly awesome bow. 

I think as far as backings go Bamboo is king, but I've read great stuff about rawhide (assuming you aren't up for sinewing).  I'm out of bamboo or i'd offer to prep one for you and trade you something for it. 

Do a youtube search for "bow aragon" and you'll see one of Konrad voegelle's bows.  That is almost exactly what Pat B is describing above. 

You can glue it with TB@ or TB3 if you don't wrap it in celephane.  The deflex can be clamped in but you don't need much. 

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:21:43 pm »
Sorry. Perry reflex is adding reflex as you glue the back to the belly. Basically you lift the tips up on blocks(about 3" to 4") and pulling the handle down to the table. You will want to pre-tiller the belly so you get a nice even bend at glue-up.
 This method was popularized by Dan Perry of Utah. He is a flight shooter so he was trying to get the best performance out of his bows.
 There might even be a write up in the" How To" section by Dan Perry.
Boo is pretty finicky to prep and I have had more bad luck with boo than hickory witch is pretty fool proof. Rawhide only adds insurance but not performance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:22:17 pm »
Perry reflex is reflex glued in while attaching the back. Its under "pressure" even after the clamps are released. That can make a bow hold the same reflex it started with, sometimes. Id suggest hickory. You can look at hickory most often and know just how healthy it is, boo not so much. Hickory is more reliable and 10x easier to prep and finish. Ive made plenty from both hickory and boo and will never use boo again. Id suggest, for a 28" draw, a 64-65" ntn flat bow. Start with 1 3/8" fades and carry that out 16-18", then straight taper to 1/2" wide tips. TB3 works fine, but you better have your ducks in a row and do a dry run prior to using glue. TB3 sets fast and if you are fiddling with 65" of bow you don't have much time. Drill a pair of toothpick sized holes dead center of the handle, through both the back and into the osage about 3/8". When you glue up you lay the back on, insert toothpicks and then clamp out to each tip. The toothpicks keep the whole sha-bang lined up and it cant slip and slide at all. If you glue a back on that gets twisted, it will result in a twisted bow with no way to fix it. If you decide to use c clamps, I do, then be sure you just nudge them tight and don't squeeze all your glue out. Also, alternate which side of the limb as you place clamps so you don't have all the clamp weight pulling to one side. That's about all I know about glue ups.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:25:41 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:38:21 pm »
Ok,  got it.   
Pearl- that's a great idea using the toothpicks as guides.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:49:28 pm »
Not mine Falcon. Like 99.9% of what I know, I learned form others by reading here. This place is loaded like no book or books you can buy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 03:20:03 pm »
I totally agree Pearl,  That's why I keep coming back.  Well that and the people on here are like no other kind of forum I've ever been a part of.  So quick to offer advice, positive and constructive criticism, and never expect anything in return.  A great bunch of misfits is what y'all are!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »
Pearlie gave me the idea about the tooth picks when I was gluing up the "Classic" hickory backed lemonwood I donated to Twin Oaks for the raffle table. It is a trick that will keep you from loosing your mind at glue up time.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 05:06:36 pm »
So much help/info.  But if others wish to chime in, don't be bashful.  Thanks, guys!

One other question . . . well, one at the moment.  Board is full 1" thick.  So if I setup my table saw JUST right and do some test cuts, could split that board into 2 @ 7/16" thickness.  Am I pushing my luck for 40-45# @ 26"??
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 05:08:51 pm »
Leave that thickness at the handle so you have good, solid fades. If you rip it in half you will have to build a power lam in order to keep the handle on. That's no fun.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 05:13:58 pm »
Leave that thickness at the handle so you have good, solid fades. If you rip it in half you will have to build a power lam in order to keep the handle on. That's no fun.
Duhhhhh, really thought that through!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 05:16:39 pm »
Slow her down big guy! Easy there! Follow the same basic rules of any bow build. Proper length, proper fades and a proper tiller, and don't forget a proper tiller.