Author Topic: Osage dimensions???  (Read 6703 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Osage dimensions???
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 05:48:08 pm »
Ya for osage thats pretty green.if you have enough thickness still, you could chase another ring and seal it up rihht away. Then put that baby under your bed for a while.
sinew over rawhide for sure, sinew is just alot of work

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 09:38:30 pm »
yes sealing he back when greenish is good idea,,, the checks seem to be minimal,, seal it now and it will probably work,,
deer sinew will work fine,, and sinew backing is a good skill to know,,, be sure to sand off all sealer,, and wash with boiling water and soap before applying sinew

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 09:39:55 pm »
if you decide to go with sinew,, you might want to go to 56 nock to nock,,

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:19:30 pm »
Its at 63" tip to tip. If I go any shorter it will take all the character out of it.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:49:53 pm »
I have a great shooter at 63"NTN, 1-1/2"at fades tapering to 1/2" at tips. 4"handle with 3" out to fades.57lbs @ 28". Osage. Take your time with tiller , watch the grain around the knot and you should be fine.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 10:55:57 pm »
Thanks y'all...I've never worked with sinew before but I have plenty and want to learn.   I've sealed the back and ends and will let this dry for a bit.  Im buying a house and will be closing soon.  Will Finnish this baby up after the move and getting settled in.   Thanks forre the input and I will post pics when its done.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 11:08:15 pm »
Taking the character out of it may not be a bad thing. If you're pulling it to 26" and going to put sinew on it then a shorter bow will react better to the sinew. It will make the sinew work harder resulting in a quicker bow. If you shorten it and put sinew on the back you will get the most work out of it. JMO  Patrick.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 11:50:19 pm »
I can take it down to 58" and take the knot out completely.  Im pulling to 28" but I can go 26" if need be. It will still have a bit of snake in it but not so much.  2" of draw length shouldn't be to hart to adapt to.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 12:05:28 am »
If you sinew back it 58" should still get you 28" draw. But I'm not an expert here. I would love to tell you that is a fact but someone like patb would know a lot more about this subject. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 12:18:33 am »
Can you not eliminate the knot(go around it) and still have enough wood to continue?   You could easily do a 58" sinew backed bow for a 28" draw but your tillering will have to be right on. I'd kick the tips a bit too to help with the string angle at full draw and also have the limbs work into the handle at full draw. Remember it will be months before you should shoot the bow so the sinew has time to cure. You could be shooting a selfbow a lot sooner. For me a sinew backed bow is a project that I develop and execute with the same frame of mind from start to finish and not just a fixer upper. You are at a point now where you can make that decision.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 12:49:44 pm »
make it how you like .. or how you want it to look, , usually sinew bows dont perform as well at longer lengths(yes it can be done with special tiller consideration),,, the sinew is heavy,, and to get the most from it,, bows that are about double the draw just shoot a little harder,,, if you put one or two layers  to strengthen the back,, it will probably shoot fine like a good self bow,, but to gain performance from the sinew, the shorter bow  is  usually a better design,,,I get your point about wanting to save the character,,, so do what works best for you,,, thats what is fun about the wood bows, ,,, lots of options to consider and ponder,,

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 02:30:06 pm »
I may try to take it down another ring or two reseal it and let it dry a month or two and Get this move over with. Try to get under the cracks.