Author Topic: I.D. Please  (Read 2415 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
I.D. Please
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:06:34 pm »
I was talking to my boss today about building bows, and that I now wanted to get into knapping. He told me that his late father was quite the point collector. He goes on to tell me that He has 4 or 5, 5 gallon buckets of points, ranging from small bird points to larger knife blades and spear points. He had one in his office. Can you tell anything from the size and shape? I imagine that he would have found this in either Utah or Arizona. Thanks
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Zuma

Re: I.D. Please
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:57:15 pm »
The big one reminds me of a ball point pen.
The other objest must be the smallest broken side notched
point made in Utah/Arizona.
Well not really but it is tiny.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:32 pm »
Too funny zuma on the ball pen point!

Looks like obsidian bird point to me.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:32:31 am »
Zuma you beat me to the pen remark.   ;D

May be the other is a blowgun dart point?  Not really though. Man that thing is small.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:01:29 am »
There's a little museum in Globe, AZ and most of the points on the arrows there are that small. You'd be hard pressed to find one any wider than your thumbnail. My brother sent me some photos of them that I don't have anymore, if he gets on here maybe he can upload them. I think we too often over estimate the size used for normal hunting. I know if I needed to get something on the fire to eat I would use whatever I could to get it done, regardless of size.
Cool point though, and heres another thought, I wonder if we just don't find as many of the small points because, well...they're small?
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:59:16 am »
I am sure he has showed me this before, I just never took it to be anything special until I understood how difficult making points really is. The photo doesn't show color, but it is almost purple. I am sure that people don't find them like this due to the size.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 09:46:15 pm »
They call those "Desert side notched" or "Pueblo side notched".  They are true arrowheads and yes, they are sometimes really small.  That one looks like obsidian, as stated already.  Probably from the late prehistoric period (after AD 1000) when most arrowheads from that area (AZ and UT) tended to get smaller and more triangular (straight sides and base).

The more I look at it, the more it looks like the base may have snapped off and there may have been two notches on each side.  Does it look broken at the base?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 09:52:03 pm »
Maybe I missed it, but was the pen obsidian, too?

I know there are obsidian sources in the southwest part of Utah (particularly down around Blackrock, Utah, of all places) but are there other places around there where it could be found?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 11:54:47 pm »
I have never seen obsidian in southern Utah, but I have never looked either. It looks almost purple in color, and I didn't really get a good look at the base. I will on Monday when I am back to work. No, the pen is plastic.