Author Topic: draw knife advice  (Read 8745 times)

Offline jeffp51

draw knife advice
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:05:27 am »
I think I need one.  I was looking on ebay and saw all sorts.  Mostly labeled vintage, but sometimes older is better than new from china. What should I look for and what should I avoid? straight edge or slightly curved? I see one called a flexcut sold new on ebay for 35 dollars.  What do you all find most useful?  I don't have a band saw, so I plan to use it for roughing out before I get to my rasp and scraper.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:15:49 am by jeffp51 »

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: draw knife advice
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:38:25 am »
I'd go vintage, and I like my straight edge but it seems curved would be more precise.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:43:27 am »
I have an antique 11" curved edge that I really like. I looked up the flexcut you mentioned and all of the ones I found had a 5" cutting edge, which I think is way too small. I've never tried a straight edge, so I can't say much about them. I can say that I've never felt like I needed another one, the one I have is great. I would recommend an older one because they're build solid and they just seem to last forever. Just my two cents.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:32 am »
I think a slight curve is handy, but I have used straight.
Anything with flex in the name has no place in my tool box, I don't want no floppy tool  :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:13:13 am »
I have a big old straight edge. I find I'm using it less and less lately... the gap between hatchet and coarse rasp is getting smaller. But I still would never get rid of it. In fact I will probably get another one, might try a slightly curved one and keep the straight one blunt for bark.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 07:59:05 am »
I have a straight and a curved.  I don't really see where one is better than the other.  They both work fine.  Look for good solid handles.  Also check the blade for any nicks or other imperfections.  You want a good clean blade.  You might check your local antique stores.  I got a great one at an antique store for $20.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 08:06:46 am »
Vintage is good, checkout yard sales, farm auctions, Amish communities, fall Oktoberfests if you live in the Midwest.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:09:58 am »
I like big and straight because that is what I started with, others might like curved.

I have bought a bunch of drawknives at flea markets, usually for $10 each. I bought one I didn't like after I got it home, the handles were tilted up from the blade, not on the same plane. I found this drawknife just about useless for working osage.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:16:33 am »
The only knives I have are curved. I love vintage tools. As an aside, I wonder about the history of them. My main draw knife is one I inherited from my dad who I never saw use it even though he was a consumate wood worker. Why did he have one? Where did he get it?
He did in '89.
This knife is venerable.
I've certainly put it to good use.
Thanks, Dad!
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:39 am »
I have a large straight one that is old and a hand forge small straight one that Keenan made. I just passed up an old curved one last Sunday at the Flea market for $25. I thought the price was too high. I could have bought a box of 30 vintage ones in different degrees of shape for $50 last year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:49:18 am »
I have a large straight one that is old and a hand forge small straight one that Keenan made. I just passed up an old curved one last Sunday at the Flea market for $25. I thought the price was too high. I could have bought a box of 30 vintage ones in different degrees of shape for $50 last year.
Oh... the dreaded "could have" :'(  >:D
Yeah, but you probably got enough stuff anyhow :laugh: or is that a contradiction?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 11:42:36 am »
I would not buy a draw knife that was sharpened on a bench grinder. Most folks don't know how to sharpen tools using a grinder and they have a tendency to get the blade too hot.  When the blade gets to hot it will lose some of its temper. The blade won't hold a good edge after losing its temper. It goes without saying that rust is not a friend of the blade. Like others have said, I like my old draw knifes. 

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:34 pm »
thanks to all the advice.  I am really impressed with the helpfulness and politeness of this forum.  I will start looking for the old stuff, I think.

Offline rps3

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 12:06:02 pm »
I have 7 draw knives, all vintage, some straight, others curved. 10 inches to 12 inches. I use them all. Some staves just like a different knife, and I keep trying untill one feels right. I will say the 12 inch with a slight curve is my go to for debarking and working a ring on osage.

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 12:29:15 pm »
I would go curved, 10" or so blade and make sure the blade has room between the handles in case you need to get some stuff with the edge of the blade. Definitely go vintage but I have never tried new ones, all I know is vintage seems to be more reliable for more people