Author Topic: Why?!?!?!  (Read 3893 times)

Offline CustomArcher15

Why?!?!?!
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:52:35 pm »
I will post pics once I get the chance.

The Story:
I have been making bows for awhile and have broken only one osage bow(tried something new that didn't work) and have been getting at new woods. I tried yew wood twice that I got from Carson @ echoarchery. The staves weren't perfect but they were darn close. I built one for myself and ruined it because I was trying to hurry along. So I took the other stave and was going to make it for a guy I hunt with. I shaped it perfect, it was tillering, tillered it on low brace height out to 20" or so and then tried to go to regular brace height and BOOM! Three pieces of a bow are laying at my feet. It broke in the handle area and split the bow into upper and lower limbs and the back part of the handle. I am
thinking it was part of one of these or a combo: low rpi(only had 20 and was going for 60#), a bad growth ring that was brittle, or too strong for a narrow handle. Please help me find why it broke!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Why?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:55:45 pm »
Pictures please!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 01:22:44 pm »
Could be a run of bad luck, bad timber, moisture content, bad design choice.

Sometimes all we end up with are lessons rather than a finished working bow.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:29:48 pm »
no way to tell without pictures or a great description of the dimensions...pictures are best.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:40:39 pm »
Did you study the breaks to determine why each broke?
  Pics please.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:12:41 pm »
Been there. Sounds like the stave was not ready to be strung. Was it too heavy still? Did you long string tiller?
If you look at this buildalong, on my site, you will see my method for determining a stave's readiness to be strung.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boardbowbuildalong.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:44:01 pm »
Yes the bow was definitely ready to be strung. I long string and short (low brace height) tillered before I tried full brace height.

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 04:45:09 pm »
Pics

Offline J05H

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 05:00:36 pm »
That looks like it lifted a splinter at the cut in shelf.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »
That's what I was thinking at first but it broke at an angle and is thick not like a splinter that is thin.

Offline J05H

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 05:11:46 pm »
I think you just cut the shelf too deep, but I could be wrong.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 05:19:33 pm »
You don't need to develop the handle to tiller the bow. You can do that last. Proper tillering of the bow is the main concern when building wood bows. Get it tillered well first then finish the tips and handle to your liking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 06:09:38 pm »
Too narrow at the shelf. It doesn't need to lift much of a splinter to go boom when there's not much wood to keep it together. It looks to be narrow enough to not have needed any kind of shelf. Maybe a floppy rest if you need something. Shelves are ok for those who need them I've made a few with them myself but ther has to be plenty of wood to compensate. Like Pat said get it tillered before you try to shape the handle it will be easier to tiller then too and you will have your choice of top and bottom limb.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline jasonoflivingston

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 06:35:12 pm »
Just a thought.  A handle that would be fine on a fully tillered bow can cause a break if it is shaped too early in the process because the limbs are still somewhat heavy and stiff thus forcing excess bend in the handle for the length of draw observed. 

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 06:45:03 pm »
Just a thought.  A handle that would be fine on a fully tillered bow can cause a break if it is shaped too early in the process because the limbs are still somewhat heavy and stiff thus forcing excess bend in the handle for the length of draw observed. 

Thanks guys. I think he just nailed it on the head. After looking at one of my pics I did see the break in the rest. I think that is the whole problem. I have been making just osage bows and doing that hasn't caused any problems and I assume it's from its strength where yew is so much softer and could easily break on an area where it's thicker but still doesn't have the strength of the same thickness osage riser.