Author Topic: Why?!?!?!  (Read 3892 times)

blackhawk

Re: Why?!?!?!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 07:57:22 pm »
You didn't have enough thickness with yew to cut a shelf in..and I can guarantee there was enough stress on that fulcrum point to cause your break...this had nothing to do with cutting your shelf before finish tillering(although you should do as pat says and wait to shape after your ready to start shooting)..if ya did it after ya woulda had the same results without a doubt

Looks like ya also cut it to far in as well...just not enough meat there for yew to handle that
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:02:14 pm by blackhawk »

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 11:21:27 pm »
I've never had one break like that but I would have to agree with the fade area being too thin too early ,or maybe there was a crack inside the handle or somewhere you couldn't see. Making it go boom. They say you learn more from the bows you break ;D its been true for me so far

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 03:11:12 am »
That bow shouldn't have had a shelf. A shelf needs a lot of extra thickness. and by the look of the pictures it wasn't ready to be braced. At what distance was it pulling full draw weight on the long string?
A bow should be pretty much done before going to full brace.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 06:46:28 am »
We all make mistakes, and we all have runs of bad luck every now and then. That stave has short grain across the back, through the handle area. Like the other guys have said putting in a cut out arrow shelf increased the risks of breaking.  A shelf if you are going to put one in, goes in at the end of tillering so you can fine tune string alignment, and arrow flight.
That stave was only ready for the start of floor tillering, and not ready for bracing. If a bow breaks at the handle, and not in the limbs it means that the limbs were not bending enough(by a long long way). Having said that if you got the limbs moving first and didn't cut the arrow pass, that stave probably would have given you a decent bow unless the grain was crossing like that in the working area of the limbs.

This may sound harsh to you, but unless you want to throw away money lay off the yew for a while, get the basics down right, with cheaper more available staves. Patience is one of the most important factors in the early stages of bowmaking, coax the stave into a bow. Speed and the apparent devil may care attitude come once you get plenty of experience. Don't despair, I'm sure it won't be long before you are ready to tackle  and do some justice to a nice piece of yew.
I've broken plenty of staves myself in the early days, usually poor selection of grain in board staves or backings, despite patience and careful work.
                                                       Hamish.