Author Topic: RE-Spined  (Read 5143 times)

PK

RE-Spined
« on: January 05, 2008, 02:43:49 am »
I thought since my port orford cedar were spined at 60 to 70 I would adjust the wieght to 40-50. had to scrape then sand and put the points back on.
could not change the leangth there already 29-30".
I tried something new to me with cresting, I used paint pens seemed to work well with the Cresting jig (drill and dowel with a hole for the point to rest in.
Got some others I still need to fletch, they are Black and yellow with gold pin stripe. gonna have Bone heads.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 05:20:52 am by PK »

Offline DanaM

Re: RE-Spined
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 06:57:48 am »
Phil if the spine is to heavy I usually just sand the center from in front of the fletch to
about 4" in front of the point. Nice arra's
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:16:18 am »
The spine weight on most arrows is measured on a 28" arrow. Every inch over that you can reduce the spine weight by 5# so those arrows will have a spine weight of 50# to 60# at 29" to 30".   And as Dana said, you can further adjust them with some light sanding in their mid section. Having a few inches sticking beyond the back of the bow won't hurt anything.  Most of my arrows are 29" for my 26" draw.     Pat

ps. Nice looking arrows.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:34:52 am »
You can also go from 125 grain points to 225 grain points to help decrease the spine.  Great looking arrows though.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

PK

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 01:59:50 pm »
Thanks Guys, It all started with the Spine tester BA, Getting the bow thing down, Now its figgerin the arrows.
So if the grain # is higher then the point is lighter or just the opposite?
 I work on the Boo arrows with Bone heads after finish up the rest of the cedars my friend gave me way back,Did not know about arrow theory back then.
you gus are so smart.
will show pics when done, Like to show off but ,like to see other peoples work More.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 04:17:57 pm »
When using cane or hardwood shoot arrows you can subtract 10# for the natural taper of the shafts so you should be able to shoot a 60# spined arrow from a 50# bow and they should be compatible.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 05:01:12 pm »
As you increase the weight of the point, the spine decreases.  Normal is 125 grains  for every 25 over that you can subtract about 5# of spine. If your arrows spine 60-70 you could subtract 5# for the extra length, then put a 190grain point and subtract about 10# more.  That leaves you with a spine of 45-55#. What kind of bow are you shooting and is it center shot.  If it is a selfbow or straight bow, you need to subtract about 5-10# from the bow weight to determine the spine weight you need.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

PK

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 05:42:45 pm »
As you increase the weight of the point, the spine decreases.  Normal is 125 grains  for every 25 over that you can subtract about 5# of spine. If your arrows spine 60-70 you could subtract 5# for the extra length, then put a 190grain point and subtract about 10# more.  That leaves you with a spine of 45-55#. What kind of bow are you shooting and is it center shot.  If it is a selfbow or straight bow, you need to subtract about 5-10# from the bow weight to determine the spine weight you need.  Justin
Top is no cut out, Bottom is, only tried bottom, spined the arrows for the Top 50#@28 Bow. The arrows shoot Center with the 35# Bottom pic.
I'll make a Vid to show.
The first vid is 35#Bow
The second is 50# Bow
Not much room to paradox.
Not even sure if the spine tester I made is accurate, so I'm making another.
They Shoot good enough.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 08:08:49 pm by PK »

Jess Prater

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 02:29:43 pm »
Hi PK,

I'd love to see those videos.  Is there any kind of tutorial out there?  I am just getting started.  I have a self bow that I think has 70# of pull at 28 in (It's an arm killer).  In order to make traditional arrows for it I have to match the spliine weight of the arrow (or, it's deflection at X weight out at some distance on the arrow) to the bow, right???

Hope you guys don't mind a real novice asking about what you obviously know very well.

Jess

PK

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 03:53:15 am »
Hi PK,

I'd love to see those videos.  Is there any kind of tutorial out there?  I am just getting started.  I have a self bow that I think has 70# of pull at 28 in (It's an arm killer).  In order to make traditional arrows for it I have to match the spliine weight of the arrow (or, it's deflection at X weight out at some distance on the arrow) to the bow, right???

Hope you guys don't mind a real novice asking about what you obviously know very well.

Jess
Hi Jess I am a Novice to but just realized I'm better at Bowmaking than Arrow spining, Still learning.
Videos may be on youtube about archers paradox those just show arrows doin the swiggley. :o