Author Topic: New Yew Longbow  (Read 2924 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

New Yew Longbow
« on: March 16, 2015, 01:30:53 am »
Just finished my first yew longbow.
71 inches long. 60# at 26 inches.
I did not use horn nocks.
Did not tiller once string was on, kind off lucked out I guess.

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: New Yew Longbow
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:04:55 am »
Looks like a smooth drawing, fast shooting yew longbow. Gotta love when first brace yields you a nice full draw.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:41:00 am »
Nice! IMO this is one of the main advantages of the ELB design: you can very clearly see if yuor taper is good.
Don't shoot!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 04:26:20 am »
Do you have an unstrung pic?
Top half of upper limb looks a bit stiff to me, but maybe that's the shape of the stave.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:27:17 am »
Very nice looking bow! 

Personally speaking, I'd say the brace shape is telling you quite a lot about some potential improvements to the tiller - top limb is bending too much just past the handle and very stiff at the tip, and the bottom limb is stiffer than the top throughout.  You do want the bottom limb stiffer in general, but I think here it could do with bending more overall.

While it's not yet a hinge, that top limb spot just past the handle will almost definitely become a hinge as it's shot in.  The rest of the limb is doing very little work, so removing wood from the tips down will help a lot, but of course the bottom limb will need to be weakened a fair bit to come into tiller. 

Your other option might be to heat-treat that weak spot to stiffen it up, and then simply shave some wood from the upper limb tip, and the whole bottom limb to bring it round more.  You'll keep the weight up, that way.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 11:20:44 am »
I agree with Del.  An unbraced pic would really help.  Looks nice all n all. Josh