Author Topic: Is this correct for 2 fletch?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Is this correct for 2 fletch?
« on: August 09, 2014, 01:07:26 pm »
Hey guys, I posted a topic awhile back about using tail feathers as fletching and there were replies about the 2 fletched arrow and I was a little interested so I gave it a try using my 5 1/2 shield cut feathers and my fletching jig. What I did was glue on the cock feather like normal but after it was dry, I flipped the arrow over, not rotating the jig at all, and glued another feather. I then went to shoot this arrow and it did well with a field point up to 15 yards but when I tried it at 20 yards I could not get it to hit the mark consistently. I will attempt to add pictures of what I did so you guys can tell if I did the 2 fletch wrong or not. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is this correct for 2 fletch?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 01:50:50 pm »
Aaron, that looks fine from here. That is one method using precut feathers. Are you putting any helical on the feathers. For 2fletch you can add almost 90deg of twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 02:24:27 pm »
I do put helical on the feathers because I have a proper jig for it but I never knew if I was doing it right. What I do is use a right wing jig and right wing helical clamp and then offset the jig so the front of the fletching goes as far to the right as my arrow diameter will allow but I don't think its 90 deg of twist. Thanks for the quick reply, if you see an error in how I fletch helical please let me know because I'm not sure if I see a difference between helical, offset or even straight fletching and I feel I should be. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:29:42 pm by ajbruggink »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:19:45 pm »
Here are 3 2 fletch that are a little different from each other. The one on the right is similar to yours but with my burn pattern. The
other two are my attempt at an Eastern Woodland 2fletch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 07:24:39 pm »
I think any two fletch will work, as long it is helical,  ..........................................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:42:24 pm »
If you shoot it and it flies well then you did it the correct way.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:32:51 pm »
Listen to Tim. He knows!  ;)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:43:13 am »
How did it react ?
 One of the f etching's biggest jobs is correcting the arrows flight from a not so perfect release so orienting the two fetching up and down with the bow string gives them the best and quickest opportunity for making that correction
Other than that you just need enough drag from the feathers to make any needed corrections
so you may need a bit more drag to match what you are use to seeing , since you went from 3 feathers to 2 you have less drag and it may take more feather either in height or length to match what you are used to
If you don't use a slandered jig you can do more twist and accomplish more drag also
Keep playing as its all fun!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline trapperDave

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 03:34:14 pm »
nock needs turned a bit. on the bow looking from the string towards the point, feathers should be at 10 and 4 or.... 8 and 2 for best clearance in my experiance. yours looks to be at 9 and 3 putting one directly into the riser