Author Topic: halfeye's going back to carving, painting done now, a little finish work left  (Read 43079 times)

Offline half eye

Re: halfeye's going back to carving, but still checkin in (lots of pics)
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2014, 02:44:05 pm »
OK fellas, these are the money shots of the base section. (understand that the base will have a formal piece of polished wood under the rocks and about 2" larger all around) I can can now get after the eagle proper, there are 2 sets of 6 pictures and all close up shots so if anything aint clear please let me know. My customer wanted "dripping water" on some parts and realism as to the "feeding" part but not gory....it is going in a home after all.

Thank you fellas for the nice comments and let me know what ya all think?
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2014, 02:45:38 pm »
next 6

Offline danny f

« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2014, 03:45:39 pm »
only one word from me WOW. that is art at its best well done i cant wait to see it finished.

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2014, 03:54:12 pm »
   Half eye... I`ve just seen this post... Normally I sped mot of my time in the flintknapping area, ut in looking around the rest of the site this afternoon, I found your "build along".  May I just add my compliments to all those who have given theirs before me?  Your carvng is fantastically detailed & lifelike, I applaud you efforts. You might have a slight vision problem with your eyes, but I don`t see any problems in the vision of the (nearly)completed work you`re after here.  Beautiful work & great realism....  Thank you for taking the time to document your work allowing the rest of us to come along on your journey.
  I think we need a "like" button on here...
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:15 pm »
All I can say is that I now am craving shore lunch of fried pike filets and a cold Leinie!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2014, 12:41:06 am »
Looking great Rich.  Can't wait for the next installment. 

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2014, 09:09:32 am »
Man oh man. I think she really looks great, Rich! I can't wait to see her all finished up!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2014, 08:24:20 pm »
Did a little work on the bird today. I start at the head and work down toward the tail. I got the beak sanded down to almost finished dimensions, drilled in eye holes (1/8 too small), and started refining the feather groups on the head and cape area.

The eye holes are drilled to set the location but arer 1/8 too small so there is room to carve them in any direction to make them perfectly symmetrical (one to another) The first pic is the head prior to working on the "groups" and the last pic shows that I need to open the eyehole up on the rear side .....the left eye needs to be open on the forward edge to make them perfect. The head is the most important part.....cant have a crooked beak, crooked eyes, or both crooked to the skull etc. etc. enjoy the pics.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2014, 01:31:24 pm »
Excellent! The supraorbital ridge sticks out over the eye JUST like it should.  That brow ridge shields the eye from injuries, like ours does and has the added benefit of working like a ball cap to shade the eyes.  Lot of raptor carvings don't include this critical feature making the faces look bland, insipid, and characterless. 

It's that ridge over the eye that gives them that angry look!

Offline half eye

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2014, 03:35:52 pm »
Thanks JW....like I said, feed back from experts is really, really appreciated. The ridge on the skull casting is smaller of course so this was just my "best guess" on appearance once feathered.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2014, 03:54:42 pm »
And there is also some artistic license where you may emphasize a feature in order to elicit a certain response.  For this carving, if I felt the brows were too large I would probably chalk it up to wanting to make the bird look more fierce.

But at some point, artistic license can slew sideways into caricature or cartoonish ridiculousness.  Kinda like a famous painting of a mule deer bounding thru badlands with his large white tail erect and hair fanned out....LIKE A WHITE TAIL!  Not mentioning the famous artist, but he's a hack!  LOL.

Offline wildman

« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2014, 08:42:38 am »
I cannot wait to see the finished piece. The detail is beyond belief , Rich again I say amazing!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2014, 09:36:46 am »
WOW
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline half eye

« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2014, 04:32:33 pm »
Had some weather related issues so been down for a few days. Here is what I been up to today.

Opened up the eye holes and got the eyes where they needed to be....and the eyes mounted. The next thing was the eye-lids (for lack of a better word), then put the first layer of sawdust for the cheek pin-feathers and the small exposed sections of eye skull flanges. Then started the "stoning" on the head feathers......that will need to be finished on the entire head, then gone over again with the wood burner before we get to move on.

2 sets of pics, close-up's
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2014, 04:33:56 pm »
next set