Author Topic: History  (Read 3050 times)

Offline lostarrow

History
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:16:24 pm »
For those interested in historical kit.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/11006139/Inventories-of-war-soldiers-kit-from-1066-to-2014.html?frame=2994153

There are several soldiers kits through history . Looks interesting.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: History
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:38:18 pm »
Pretty cool
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 04:10:21 pm »
Sadly, the Agincourt kit is woefully inaccurate!  There are posts all over Facebook detailing how many items are wrong with it such as the bow itself, the arrow types, the eating equipment, the hose and doublet are quite wrong, the boots and much more.  Shame, as it's a nicely set up piece.  No idea how accurate the rest of the kits are though. 

The bow is clearly a Victorian style target longbow, with it's thin profile, leather handle and stiff centre, and the arrows are a weird collection of hunting heads and military heads mounted on very thin shafts.

I feel like I'm being negative :(  Hey, at least they haven't shown a fork amongst the eating utensils!

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 01:44:42 am »
Which bow(among other things) survived the battle of Agincourt?

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 05:56:27 am »
None. But no artwork shows a bow like that, none of the MR bows look like that and no bow that size would penetrate munitions grade armour easily enough to be used in warfare.

I know what point you're trying to make, but this is quite clearly a reenactors kit, borrowed by the photographer.  Reenactors (surprise surprise) don't shoot warbows.  Most of them can't pull more than 50lbs and this bow is quite obviously a medium/light weight bow, with a leather handle and the string follow shows that middle is left stiff in tiller, for stability when shooting for target sports.  Anybody with a crude knowledge of bow history would recognise this as a Victorian style sporting bow, not a medieval weapon.

The falchion is the wrong decade as well.  As is the costrel.  It's a great photo though, and does the job it's meant to do very nicely, as long as nobody looks at it from an accurate historical perspective instead of a piece of art.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:03:10 am by WillS »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 01:15:49 pm »
Yeah, the first thing I noticed was the tiny target bow.  ;D I clicked on the "all items list" link but I could not find the archers kit. Cool article though, thank you for the post lost arrow!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair