Author Topic: Black Walnut Dimensions?  (Read 5203 times)

Offline (bow)Hunter

Black Walnut Dimensions?
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:37:07 pm »
I figured I would post this while I'm still working on that hickory so I'll have some guidelines before I start the walnut. I really really loved the black walnut look so I found a piece with pretty straight grain (left side) that's got the straight grain 6 ft x 2.5 in x 5/4 in thick. I looked up some stuff but was still unsure of where to start with this wood. I really don;t want to mess this one up because I love the color and how it would turn out!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black Walnut Dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:41:02 pm »
I'd make it long(68"), wide(1 3/4" to 2") and back it with something.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline (bow)Hunter

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:45:42 pm »
So like a pyramid style or more of a flat-bow? and what would you recommend backing it with? I appreciate the help!

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 01:50:38 pm »
Looks like core wood material at best to me...grain looks real iffy to me for anything else...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:31:50 pm »
An overbuilt flat bow with the width running almost the full length with only the last 8" tapering to the tips. Hickory, elm or hard maple would be a good backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC