Author Topic: sinew backed ERC sapwood ??  (Read 3894 times)

Offline sonny

sinew backed ERC sapwood ??
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:50:13 pm »
It seems that I recently read that someone had had good luck with sinew backed eastern red cedar sapwood, of which I have a good blank that's nearly ready for backing.
I had intended to make a selfbow from it but I already have some sinew shredded so figure I might give that a go.

please point me to the thread if you remember the post.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: sinew backed ERC sapwood ??
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:02:51 am »
Sonny,  Try entering "sinew" and "juniper" in the search box at the upper left hand corner of the page.  You'll get several hits that deal with ERC ( WHICH IS A TYPE OF JUNIPER - J. sylvestris.   
My opinion is that ERC  is a great bow wood, espicially if backed.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 01:27:03 am »
Is the Eastern Red Cedar the same cedar that is common here in North Carolina??
Tryon,N.C.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 02:37:06 am »
Hi, I've never spent much time in NC., but if your 'cedar' has red/ pink heartwood and smells like a cedar chest once dried, it is ERC.  Several other "cedars" are present on the east coast, but to my knowledge they all have white wood.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:33:32 am »
Huntersteve, it's the same one. Lots of cedar around when you get down out of the mountains. The challenge is in finding a clean piece that isn't just a bunch of knots connected together. Look for the ones growing out in the woods instead of the field cedars.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Minuteman

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 09:11:26 pm »
I have a video ( Full Circle) where Thad Beckum cuts a slab of cedar out of a living tree with a greenstone axe  and makes a bow from it. It was ERC and all sapwood if my memory serves me. He sinew backed it .

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 12:11:02 am »
the reason I asked is because I have a cedar log stowed away in the dry that that was cut and saved for fence post or whatever else......but now I'm thinking about trying to make a bow out of it....Steve
Tryon,N.C.