Author Topic: 39" bow  (Read 4820 times)

Offline david w.

39" bow
« on: February 01, 2008, 04:28:26 pm »
i started a 39" bow.  I backed it withbrown paper bags.  It was so much fun to make. Tommorw i will tiller it and by the end of the weekend it should be done.  it is 3/4" wide and 39" long.  I will try to get the highest draw possible but it will probaly be around 20#

I will have pictures soon
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline DanaM

Re: 39" bow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:02:33 pm »
Sounds like a fun little project david.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 06:33:22 pm »
That will be a long draw for paper backing.  Good luck and I am waiting to see the final bow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 07:05:08 pm »
i have pulled it to 13" with out a problem. tiller is a little off.  It is pulling around 35-40#. This is really cool.  I am going to take this bad boy small game hunting in  a patch of woods by my house. Its loaded with squirrels but its so scruby so this would be the perfect bow

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:23:01 pm »
..............Look out fer 13 1 /2". Just funnin'. ;D.........bob

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:27:14 pm »
bob i pulled it to 16" fine but then a t 17" a splinter rose on the side. It was no big deal i took it off and now its fine.

So all i have to do i spray a couple coats of deft on it so it will be done soon.  it finished at about 30# @ 16"

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 12:34:40 am »
the thing shoots fast but is scary to shoot. Its hard to draw and its hard to aim.  It was a fun project and i like the bow.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 01:14:40 am »
I did a few bows early on with brown paper grocery bag and titebond 2 for backing, as far as I know they're still in service.
VB

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 12:35:33 pm »
Well David, the Indians on the West coast California Area made thier full sized bows about 36-42" long. The shorter ones were sinew backed to give them a longer draw for more speed. I wouldn't recomend it unless you know exactly what you're doing, but they killed Elk with them.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 03:32:50 pm »
Well David, the Indians on the West coast California Area made thier full sized bows about 36-42" long. The shorter ones were sinew backed to give them a longer draw for more speed. I wouldn't recomend it unless you know exactly what you're doing, but they killed Elk with them.
     Sean

West Coast bows are some amazing stuff. Wide, but not as wide as one would imagine they would have to be (at most about 2 1/8"). Most used yew and juniper- soft highly elastic woods. Full draws of 24-26" for short 3 1/2' bows. Those guys really knew what they were doing (which can be said for all Natives actually).

And where're the pics :)?

Offline david w.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 04:55:23 pm »
All i have to do is spray on some more deft it will be done soon.  I thought the tiller looked really good but then after i stained it and did everything i looked at it again and it didnt look nearly as good but i am still happy