Author Topic: working on my first  (Read 2146 times)

Offline GaryR

working on my first
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:24:02 pm »
I'm about to start cutting the self nocks in my boo shafts. I understand it's better to put the nock near the node, your thoughts on this? Also, I need to shorten these shafts. How much over draw length and which end should I cut from and why?

Thanks for your help and my apologies for the elementary questions
Gary

Grasshopper Mouse

Re: working on my first
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:22:20 pm »
A node just under your nock will give it strength. If your nock isn't near a node then just wrap the shaft with thread or sinew to reinforce the material and you'll be fine.
I don't use a hard and fast rule for which end to cut. If the skinny end seems too small for nocks then I'll cut from that end so I have more material to make the nock on. If the nock end is fine then I'll cut from the other end.
Arrow length is up to you. Some folks like their arrows so the back of the point is right at their fingers at full draw. Others like some more arrow hanging out there. Whatever works for you is the way to do it.

Guy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:27:19 am »
I agree with Guy on everything. I would rather have the nock away from a node and just ad a sinew wrap just below the nock. Also I cut my cane arrows at 30" for my 26"draw. I think a longer arrow gets around the bow easier.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:05:46 pm »
Got it. I'm off to the garage.
Thanx guys