Author Topic: Pasolè  (Read 8930 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

Pasolè
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:03:09 pm »
Ok guys I'm channeling my inner Mexican today and making pasole. It's like a Mexican stew.

You will need.
Pork shoulder
Hominy

Enchilada sauce I like the medium stuff

Optional
Lemon
Cabbage(eww)
Radishes
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:07:46 pm by BOWMAN53 »

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Pasolè
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 04:05:21 pm »
The longest part is the first part, you have to slow boil this baby till it falls apart and off the bone.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 04:17:08 pm »
Mmmm, posole', or however you choose to spell it.  Such a simple dish, yet so hard to get PERFECT!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 04:28:53 pm »
Exactly jw exactly. Everyone makes it differently but mine is freaking delicious

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 05:20:19 pm »
oH YEAH?  It needs a little raw cabbage scattered across the top!    >:D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:27:36 pm by JW_Halverson »

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 05:39:40 pm »
Not a fan of cabbage.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:40:48 pm »
When the pork is falling apart, let the water(broth) boil down to about here.

Then you add the hominy, enchilada sauce, salt and garlic powder to your liking. As soon as that's done let it sit and simmer for awhile, then enjoy.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:09:21 am »
I've never had that - sure looks good tho ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 01:17:56 pm »
That looks really tasty. I have an upcoming camping trip, looks like a good dutch oven candidate.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 01:43:37 pm »
You can crockpot a pork shoulder to get that good porky sweetness, too. 

Here's why I think posole' works it's magic on people.  You have the sweet, fatty goodness of pork and the spiciness of the chiles in the sauce/gravy/broth, and then the bland starchiness of the hominy to bridge the two.  Taken altogether, it is very simple but amazing.

I make mine more from scratch by cooking down 6 guajillo peppers in a quart of the pork broth and then putting it thru a colander to get rid of the seeds and the skins of the dried peppers.  A little oregano and garlic, salt to taste.  This stuff freezes nicely, too.  Very important to me because I can't figure out how to make a small batch!  Warning, it can stain plastic storage containers. 

And a nice sprinkling of finely shredded cabbage over the top just because Jordo doesn't like it!   >:D 

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 04:02:30 pm »
super easy to make, and if you add lemon juice to it, it really finishes off well. a nice belgian wheat beer pairs perfectly with it as well.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 11:03:42 am »
There's a variation up here on the Navajo Nation. Some call it mutton stew, others call it hominy stew. Very simple. You need mutton backbone with meat attached. A couple pounds. Boil that in about a gallon of water a couple hours. Salt that with a couple teaspoons of salt. Dump in a king-sized can of hominy. Boil another hour. Ready to serve with frybread. You need Bluebird brand flour to make the frybread traditional. Simple as that.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 08:18:25 pm »
I make mine with green chile enchilada sauce instead of red, and diced fire-roasted chilis, and will often dice up a couple of Yukon gold potatoes to add to the hominy. This is soooo good with fresh cornbread on a fall evening, and fall is coming!

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 04:32:28 pm »
Reading this thread the other day got me going on something I've never made before.
Luckily, the local supermarket chain has pork shoulder on sale for $.99 lb so I picked one up after work and got it going.
I discovered that I need a larger heavy bottom pot. I've roasted pork shoulder before but rarely boiled one. I pretty much followed the simple recipe this time and used canned enchilada sauce. Sauce from scratch will happen next time.
Everything turned out really well and it earned a thumbs-up from my girlfriend, who was pleased it wasn't too spicy for her to eat. This morning I even had some under my eggs for breakfast.
Thanks for the idea!

Guy

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »
awesome glad you liked it. its always better the next day.