Author Topic: Busted!  (Read 3174 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Busted!
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:01:16 pm »
Got in a morning hunt before work. Coming down the hill towards my makeshift ground blind. Its dark and there's a foggy breeze blowing in my face.  Feeling good about that. Get about 1/2 down the hill and the wind does a 180 turn and starts blowing on my back!! Take about 10 more steps before I hear the huff huff huff of a deer winding my and snorting its disapproval before it pronked off into the trees.  >:(

Decided I was already there so I might as well continue to the blind. Sat on the ground, brushed in for two hours as the sun slowly came up. Heard a few more deer but none came close.  About 7:30 I walked out and and slowly crept over to a rim. Fist thing I saw was a set of horns, but they saw me first. Busted again. Pronk Pronk Pronk!  :o.  Guess I'm a little rusty, early in the season. At least I'm seeing deer.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Busted!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:19 pm »
At least your hunting Gabe. We still have another 5 weeks of waiting.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 02:29:36 pm »
Pronk pronk?  Are you hunting mulies?  But all the bigtime professional TV show personalities say only whitetails are smart! 

Anyway, any day you get pronks is better than a day working for a living!  Atta boy, get back in the game!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 04:31:33 pm »
Pacific blacktails.  Their like mule deer's smaller, wilier cousin, with extra wile.  ;)

Yeah, the big mistake I made was assuming the hunt was over before it was. I had that forky at 15 yards, and if I had been keeping a lower profile I doubt he would have seen me.  Oh well, back to it.  I sure can' focus on anything else today. I'm sposed to be working dammit.

gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:32:04 pm »
I did the exact same thing on my first turkey x years ago. Thought it was over, stood up, and POW there he goes a million mph through the woods. On a bright note, I was happy my calls and decoys worked!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:27 pm »
Sounding good, Makes a feller anxious to get back out after them. Good luck and hope you get one.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 09:14:12 pm »
I did the exact same thing on my first turkey x years ago. Thought it was over, stood up, and POW there he goes a million mph through the woods. On a bright note, I was happy my calls and decoys worked!

Huh?  I was under the impression that was how turkey hunting was supposed to happen!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 11:04:30 pm »
Seems it's easy to stumble right up on one when you least expect it, some of my opening days have gone like that.
Takes an outing or two for me to really get in tune, of course by then the deer are in tune with the fact that it is now hunting season. ;)
Good that you had some deer in your area though Gabe and that your out there pursuing them. I suspect that next time out you will deal the surprise to a blacktail. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.