Author Topic: ?'s about thumb release (not mechanical)  (Read 3240 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
?'s about thumb release (not mechanical)
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:38:39 pm »
Hey guys,

I watched Primitive Tim's video on different releases for shooting bows and it made me want to try them to see if I like them better. My lightest bow is my first hand made bow, 40 lbs at my 29" draw, so some of the releases he demonstrated like the Ishi and primary releases I couldn't control very well but I can still hold the tertiary and the thumb release ( thumblock, I don't what to call it) well with that weight, the secondary just feels weird. My observations are the tertiary release is working better for me than the thumb release as far as shooting accurate. I can pull with the thumb release further but whenever I shoot the arrow goes way too far to the right or left, like its its having problems clearing the bow. I'm right handed and I tried shooting off both sides of the both, right and left, and it goes way to far to either right or the left even at 5 feet away. I shot off the left side of the bow with the tertiary release and I have decent accuracy but I usually release when the back of my thumb hits my chin because releases at my ordinary anchor at the corner of my mouth feels very awkward with the tertiary release for me and I get better accuracy when I don't try to pull it further than my chin, which is going to change my arrow's spine, meaning I'd have to re-tune my bow which wouldn't be such a bad thing. But I feel like I'm missing something really simple with the thumb release and I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions. I am not using a thumb ring for my thumb release if that changes things but I've seen people perform this release well without them and since the thumb release likes to pull the arrow to the left when you draw, a right handed shooter shoots off the right side but I have trouble shooting this way, the bow is in the way of my line of sight. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ?'s about thumb release (not mechanical)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:13:51 am »
When shooting with a thumb ring you normally shoot off the opposite side of the bow. The thumb opens to the right so you shoot off the right side of the bow and fingers in the Mediterranean style and others open to the left so you shoot off the left side of the bow for them.  A thumb ring gives you a very good, clean release but is hard to master.
 The ATARN website might give you better explanation and even how to make your own thumb ring. Might be a few guys here on PA that could help too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:50:29 am »
Howdy,  I've experimented with the thumb release and actively practice kyudo.   In kyudo there is great emphasis on the proper grip.  Done well the bow spins around in your hand.  The spinning helps the arrow clear the bow and allows it to go straight.  The spinning won't happen much with other bows, but I find that the grip on the bow is a necessary element of shooting with a thumb release.  You need to push a little with the base of your thumb on the bow so the bow will twist just a little during the release.  What you're looking for is a slight fall of the upper limb and a little twist.
One suggestion is to get a light weight bow and just do a lot of repetitions shooting at only partial draw.  Don't even bother to aim just shoot into the ground or a very close target and try playing with the grip on the bow.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:52:37 am »
Keep both eyes open and shoot instinctively?
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018