Author Topic: non-tapered field points  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
non-tapered field points
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:58:57 pm »
Some time back, I got a bag of very old field points in a trade. The guy got them from an old archery shop that was liquidating their stuff. In the bag, were some that have no internal taper. Anyway, they sat in my arrowmaking box for all this time until now. I found that they slip right on snugly onto the bamboo arrows I'm making right now. They work great but once these are gone, that's it. Does anyone still make these field points?
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline osage outlaw

Re: non-tapered field points
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:03:57 pm »
I've seen some like that on the big auction site
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:19 pm »
They're pretty darn handy for making bamboo arrows, I discovered. Saves a lot of time. The tapered field points I got from this guy are very strange looking. They have about a bit over an inch of a nail-like point that then tapers sharply into the ferrule. That might give an idea of how old these all are. I also got some old Ace broadheads, too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:50:01 pm »
You might contact ACE Broadheads. I bought 100 field points from hi at the classic this year and talking to him it seems he knows his stuff. He had a few different field point styles, some I think he said he has made. He may know about the old field points and maybe get some made.
 I just use a tapered field point on cane. You have to grind the taper instead of using a pencil sharpener type taper tool.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline triphammer

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:22:22 pm »
Top Hat from 3 rivers. A 38 or 357 & weigh 60grs for 38 & 75 for 357 case will have the same inside diameter. I've been experimenting a little with 3/8" OD brass tube from ACE Hardware. .014 wall and has the same or very close ID.

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:03:09 pm »
I have a couple of coffee cans of those style points.  They are left overs from my dads 60's s archery shop.  Need any more get ahold of me.  Would need to know what size tho.  They used to crimp them on.  I think I have 3 or 4 different style crimpers that was used back in the day.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 11:20:10 pm »
Thanks, everyone! Appreciate it. PM sent to ya, JEB.

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 07:54:14 am »
Dharma , PM me your address.

Some of the straight walled  points I have are stamped Whiffen.  Whiffen Brothers are in Wisconson and these points date back to the 50's or early 60's.

I Titebond III bamboo skewer sticks in  the nock and point ends of my bamboo and that allows me to use a tapering tool on them.  I only use about 1 1/2" of the stick which weighs less than nothing.  You may want to try that.  Sticks are $1.00  a bag at the dollar tree.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:59:17 am by JEB »

Offline Salvador 06

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:50:38 am »
I have a stash of these old stock points and they do work well on bamboo arrows.  They made them in the elusive 9/32" size, which seems to fit tonkin shafts best.   

For blunts over smaller diameter shafts I like to use .30 carbine shells, they fit perfectly over 5/16 shafts and the thinner bamboos. 
Proudly subscribed to this magazine since 1994

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 12:20:49 pm »
Thanks, JEB! PM sent. That's a great idea on the bamboo skewers. The bamboo I have has thick enough walls that I've been able to taper the nock ends by going slowly. But the skewers would let me have better strength, so I'll try that.