Author Topic: 1st Perry Reflex glue-up  (Read 7689 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: 1st Perry Reflex glue-up
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 07:02:50 pm »
Been waiting for the temps/humidity to moderate.  But since that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon, couldn't wait any longer.  Time to tiller!
Glued-up stick seemed to be sufficiently floor tillered.
Put on long string and, after a bunch of scrapes with rasps, seemed to be ready for low brace.
Here is shot immediately after bracing.  Ntn distance is 52".  Brace height is 2 1/4".  Drawn to 12" & 24 lb.

My take is that right limb looks comparatively good while left needs work outer 2/3's, particularly middle third.
What's your take?

Thanks!
Michael
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 01:10:27 pm »
Arm chair tillering here we go!

I think your seeing it right. But I would add this: (1) as you suggested start with a few more scraps from mid limb to the tip of the left limb, (2) once the left outer limbs is even with the right (and they're close already), continue to work BOTH outer limbs. Stay off the inner 1/3 of both limbs for a little while. The inners are bending pretty well (although a very few scraps on the inner right might be appropriate) and inner limb set is a cast robber.  Looking good man!

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 10:27:46 pm »
More arm chair tillering, 'cause I know you enjoy the challenge!

This bow is 53" ntn with 1 5/8" fades and maintaining this width 4" and then tapering to 1/2" tips.
Objective is 25lb @24".
Reflex is down to 5/8".

Now at 4 1/16" brace height.

4 1/16" brace height, 17" draw, 27 lb draw weight.

Michael
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:07:33 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 10:54:23 pm »
The bend is not looking too shabby   ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 12:05:18 am »
It's looking really nice.  Outer limbs are looking better. I think the whole right limb is a little stiff now, but perhaps the inner third more than the outer third.  I would go super slow at this point.  Rock on.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 04:57:39 am »
It's bending a little too much near the fades. The right limb is stiff tipward too.
Make your self a tillering gizmo.
For your glue-up next time either use a form and innertubes or tiller your lams to have a good bend before glue-up. The way you did the glue-up you were very lucky not to induce twist and those bandages are best suited to backing with rawhide not a hard backing.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 12:54:09 pm »
Made it to 18" draw with 4" brace and 24 lb draw weight . . . before . . . BANG!
Broke almost exactly mid-limb.
Appears that failure began 3" from fade and that it was wood, not glue line, failure. 
Because I had not tapered fades into limbs' thickness, I had been purposely limiting wood removal for the 6 " limb length after fade ... trying to limit limb bending at fade and, thus, avoid handle popping off. 
HA!  Limb "popped off" instead!

Next perry reflexed bow is started.  Quarter sawn ash as core w/ white oak backing.  58" length and 1 5/16" wide at fade.  Objective being 30# at 26".  Gift for The Wife's soon-to-be-90-yr-young uncle.

Michael