Author Topic: Self bow out of a hickory sapling?  (Read 10790 times)

hunterLake

Self bow out of a hickory sapling?
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:37:20 pm »
Hey guys I am new to the art of bow making and was wondering if a 5ft by 2in hickory shoot would work for a vary basic self bow any advice would be great! Thanks Lake.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Self bow out of a hickory sapling?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:13:30 am »
Lake, I've been checking out a few hickory saplings for the same reason. You will have to get the bark and at least most of the cambium off first. This time of year, it can be a bear to do. Make a simple bend through the handle by splitting the pole in half lengthwise(gives you 2 staves) and tapering, width and thickness) out toward the tips as you reduce the weight. If the pole is still green you can reduce the shape to an even bend at floor tiller and strap it to a form to dry without twisting.     If it is cured, start tillering in earnest after you get to floor tiller stage. By making the bow bend through the handle you will allow the stresses to be distributed evenly through the entire length of the bow.
   There will be others with other methods so stick around.  ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

Re: Self bow out of a hickory sapling?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:42:34 am »
I agree with Pat. You should be able to make an nice through the handle bow with a piece of wood like that.
Gordon