Author Topic: How do you carry your arrows when hunting with a selfbow?  (Read 12410 times)

Offline Ron Wright

How do you carry your arrows when hunting with a selfbow?
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:02:17 pm »
Well in about 2 weeks I will be taking my board bow Elk hunting. I still don't have a very good way of carrying my broad headed arrows. I like the quivers that strap to the limbs, but it seems like they will affect performance. How do you carry yours?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How do you carry your arrows when hunting with a selfbow?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:15:01 pm »
I took apart a Selway bow quiver and made a FGA style side quiver that I used on two elk hunts in SW Colorado. It works great for any kind of hunting.

This is another style quiver called the side stalker that works well also. Both of these quivers have foam in the head to secure the broadheads safely and to help keep the arrows from rattling in the side stalker style. The GFA style has the arrow grips to hold the arrows securely.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:21:41 pm »
i use a back quiver,, I like to carry lots of arrows for stump shooting etc,,

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:58:19 pm »
I made this bamboo quiver to hold stone tipped arrows.  I pieced it together  out of some stuff I had laying around the shop.  Split fuel line pieces hold the arrows.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 02:25:28 am »
In Utah you have to have your broadheads completely covered, so I don't know if the last one would work here.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Ron Wright

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 12:11:54 pm »
Those are some good ideas :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 12:34:32 pm »
A simple leather sleeve can be used to cover each broadhead.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:36:54 pm »
The Asbel style side quiver by Pat is the cats meow and I think the best hunting quiver ever. Pat made me one for our 2006 elk hunt and it is one of my most cherished posessions. Very quiet, manouvers thru the brush easily, easy second shot with little movement, can be used while wearing a backpack, nice looks. easy to  get the arrow you want (grouse arrow, stump shooting arrow, elk arrow) with out looking. Mine will be going out on its umpteenth elk hunt in about five days. Thanks Pat for everything.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 09:02:22 pm »
I use a cat quiver mini right now. Have for maybe 3 seasons? It really holds my arrows tight and secure.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 09:48:47 pm »
I use a cat quiver mini right now. Have for maybe 3 seasons? It really holds my arrows tight and secure.
Do ya also use their packs?  If so, whatcha think of them?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 02:27:35 am »
In my hand. I have yet to try a quiver that wasn't too much of a hindrance when I'm creeping through our thick brushy coast-range. But I'm well aware of the risk I put myself in carrying three razor blades around with me.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 07:24:10 am »
I use the strap on quivers on my selfbows and have for years,never seen any problem with performance. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:55 am »
Do ya also use their packs?  If so, whatcha think of them?

I have 3 of them actually. The mini 4 , the "1" and the "2". I hunt farmland %99.9 and don't pack anything in with me expect a flash light and 20' 550 cord. If I ever get off my a$$ and do an adventure type hunt, Ill use my cat quivers with pouches.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ron Wright

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 06:39:01 pm »
The Asbel style side quiver by Pat is the cats meow and I think the best hunting quiver ever. Pat made me one for our 2006 elk hunt and it is one of my most cherished posessions. Very quiet, manouvers thru the brush easily, easy second shot with little movement, can be used while wearing a backpack, nice looks. easy to  get the arrow you want (grouse arrow, stump shooting arrow, elk arrow) with out looking. Mine will be going out on its umpteenth elk hunt in about five days. Thanks Pat for everything.      Kenneth

Sounds interesting, any pics or links to a website? I will be backpack hunting as always, so something I can use while wearing my loaded pack would be great.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »
Search Google for Hunter Image and you can see all Fred stuff, including the aforementioned Asbel quiver.