Author Topic: Character sea snake backed T/D Laburnum  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Character sea snake backed T/D Laburnum
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 10:18:20 pm »
Nice little Surf n Turf there!   ;)

Absolutely Beautiful bow!!!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 06:03:03 pm »
This is an exceptionally beautiful bow! You should finish more of your bows, because you master it well. I really like how you followed the grain and how it flows around all the knots and swirls.
I've got some billets of laburnum myself, which have been drying since March. This is an outstanding example for me, since it is pretty much what I hope to achieve!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 09:53:55 am »
You have made a beauty from the most beautiful bowwood (at least IMO).
Btw. I avoid the sapwood on laburnum (golden chain tree) when possible. My experience is: by far not as good as heartwood. But the contrast is a looker. I would use it only for light weight bows.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Holten101

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »
You have made a beauty from the most beautiful bowwood (at least IMO).
Btw. I avoid the sapwood on laburnum (golden chain tree) when possible. My experience is: by far not as good as heartwood. But the contrast is a looker. I would use it only for light weight bows.

Thank you Simson...you kinda was my inspiration for this bow. Ill take your advise regarding the sap wood....sounds like I did right removing it after all;-).

Laburnum is "Gold Rain" i Denmark...."Gold Rain" and "Golden Chain" are both names that makes perfect sense when the tree flowers:-)

Cheers