Author Topic: What's this plant?  (Read 9616 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: What's this plant?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 05:44:07 pm »
This is why I say red mulberry.  I've never seen any with lobes that deep but the leaf is almost exactly like the one below which is a red mulberry.
Here's my source:  http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/fieldbio/Edible_Plants_Ramer_Silver_Weizmann/Pages/spp_page_Mulberry.html

Compare the red mulberry (top) to the mystery leaf (bottom)

I've made my case.  Make of it what you wish.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 05:48:57 pm »
I am with Tim on this one.
It looks like a Mulberry to me.

Cut into one of the stems and see if Sticky White sap comes out.
Also....  I think Mulberry has a fiberes inner bark that will peal off in strips.
Try and peal off a strip of bark as well.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 07:22:48 pm »
I think you got it, Timmy ;D ;) I take back what I said about Mulberry I'm more accustomed to seeing White Mulberry.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 08:45:47 pm »
It does have white sticky sap.

Not big enough to have  bark to peel. I plan to encourage this one so maybe it will produce some berries.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 12:20:41 am »
I think you got it, Timmy ;D ;) I take back what I said about Mulberry I'm more accustomed to seeing White Mulberry.
  I never seen any mulberry like that down here except paper mulberry.  The young seem to have more lobes as I've never seen any big mulberries with such deep lobes.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 12:31:04 am »
Sprout growth sometimes has exaggerated leaves, in size and shape. I guess the sprouts have bigger leaves to support the massive root system below.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 10:12:36 am »
I walked around my exercise trail through the TVA reservation Wednesday and there they were, same sprouts and leaves, fast growing as they had been mowed last year and were growing back from the stump, thousands of them. The leaves varied from plant to plant from the usual mulberry looking, heart shaped leaves, to exactly like Jim has in his pictures.

And I still don't know for sure what they are.

I drove by an abandoned, over grown building on my way to the trail, in front to the building the property was full of giant ragweed plants, definitely not the same plant as Jim has in his pictures but exactly the same plant as we used for spears in my youth.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:35:19 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 10:02:05 pm »
Guys I want to weigh in on this.  I think common names gives all fits.  The book source I used to look this up was The Trees of Missouri.  The leaf pictured is spot on with a paper mulberry which is a native of Asia.   The species name is Broussonetia papyrifere.   The website above shows a leaf that I agree matches but not all are Morus rubra. This is what is listed in my book as red mulberry.  Red mulberry has largely ovate leaves without any lobes.  White mulberry (Morus alba) has some lobes but nothing as dramatic as what you have in your picture. 

Offline JonW

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 11:32:52 am »
That's Paper Mulberry for sure. Highly invasive.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 01:52:24 pm »
at least it has a use, paper mulberry bark makes great lashings

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 12:39:16 pm »

Nope, definitely not a Castor Bean plant.  Almost looks somewhat like a papaya, but different trunk.  Ok, I will take the Paper Mulberry tree.  Never seen one.  I have a mulberry tree, in my back yard. I guess it is a white Mulberry, don't know.  It has the big heart shaped leaves, and dark deliciously sweet berries.  Well it seems as the mystery has been solved.  I knew someone on here would be able to solve it.  Even if it was a neo Hippie throw back gene, that found it. ;D ;D  But find it he did.  Way to go Tim! ;)

Wayne