Author Topic: Got myself a purse  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Got myself a purse
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:35:15 pm »
At the local flea market a couple months ago.  Almost ready to leave when The Wife spied good sized purse made from THICK cowhide. 
"How much?" says wife to vendor whilst pointing to said purse. "$15", he says.  The Wife looks at me knowing that such a sturdy leather item would appeal to her newly-nuts-about-archery hubby.  I look at the purse, then at The Wife, then at the purse .... hmmmm.  "How about $8", I say.  Vendor looks at me, then at purse ... hmmmm, "$9".  OK!

Fast forward to 3 weekends ago.  One of the grandgirls is spending the day with gramps grumpy.  "So, whatcha wanna do today", I ask.  Ya'll with children and/or grankids can guess the answer .... "I don't know ..............".
"Want to make a quiver to go with that bow of yours?"
"Alright!"

So we spent the morning taking the purse apart.  It was mostly put together with leather thongs.

After we had the piece parts laying in front of us, we started "figuring" how to make a hip quiver for Riley.  First attempt was pretty much a bust.  But to Riley's credit she wasn't ready to throw in the proverbial towel.  2nd attempt went better.

Then I made belt quiver for myself.

A good day!

Michael
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:27:24 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Got myself a purse
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:23:50 am »
Fast forward to 2 weekends ago.  One of the grandgirls is spending the day with gramps grumpy.  "So, whatcha wanna do today", I ask.  Ya'll with children and/or grankids can guess the answer .... "I don't know ..............".

I teach music to children over here in Germany, and 'keine Ahnung' (no idea) used to be their standard answer, so I kept making them play the most difficult, or most hated pieces. And that seems to help a bit. Honestly I believe what the world needs now is youngsters with opinions!!!

Nice work, and a good way of teaching children there is life beyond FaceBook and Twitter!

Frank from Germany...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:24:20 pm »
Fast forward to 2 weekends ago.  One of the grandgirls is spending the day with gramps grumpy.  "So, whatcha wanna do today", I ask.  Ya'll with children and/or grankids can guess the answer .... "I don't know ..............".

I teach music to children over here in Germany, and 'keine Ahnung' (no idea) used to be their standard answer, so I kept making them play the most difficult, or most hated pieces. And that seems to help a bit. Honestly I believe what the world needs now is youngsters with opinions!!!

Nice work, and a good way of teaching children there is life beyond FaceBook and Twitter!

Pre-cut, pre-measured, pre-ordained outcome....and they claim these items are "educational"!?!?

Give a kid a pile of cast off scrap and tell them to have at it!  So the first attempt was a failure (quit whining and stop saying "it's not a failure, it's a learning experience".)  Riley learned failure was not the end of the line!  The end of the line is when you have finished the task.  Fun times!  Nice work, too! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:25:12 pm »
I buy purses, skirts, vest, any good leather items all the time....Goodwill always has good selections.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II