Author Topic: Choke cherry shafts?  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Choke cherry shafts?
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:40:20 pm »
Anyone ever use it? Also does anyone have a good build along for a dowel maker? Gonna try my hand at arrows. The cherry is straight grained. Too heavy?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Stoker

Re: Choke cherry shafts?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:36:09 pm »
The plains tribes around here... Southern Alberta... Used chokecherry and serviceberry shoots for shafts.... Heavy I'm gonna say yes... Myself I would be more likely to use similar sized shoots rather then doweling them.. Not to say it wouldn't work.. Ifin you gottem picked and dried what the heck giver beans... What's the worst that could happen you might learn something(My Dad's quote)
There was a dowel machine on here (arrows) that used a router and hardwood block.. Do a search... Take some pics and let us know how it goes good, bad or ugly
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:32:33 pm »
I have a friend in Kansas that uses them exclusively. It is the only arrow material in his area.  CC

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:41:09 pm »
The stuff around me grows very squiggly.  I have found one shaft that would work out of a ton.  I have other stuff that is more plentiful.  But it is very pretty and I will make an arrow out of the one that I did get.  :)

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:44:51 pm »
Lots around here but nothing overly straight. I don't like it for the fact that it is a weeee bit brittle.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »
Well this is a board I have. 2" thick 4' long and super straight grain. So imma try it
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 09:17:35 am »
Blafair2, the chokecherry shafts I was talking about are from shoots, not from a big piece of wood. What about making a short bow from that piece? I've made a number of chokecherry bows. Curtis