Author Topic: hic/BL/mesquite trilam  (Read 7414 times)

Offline snedeker

hic/BL/mesquite trilam
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:43:32 am »
61" ntn, 50#/27".  Hickory backing at 1/8" (provided by Matt Simpson), 1/4" strip of b. locust core, tapered to 1/8 thick in outer foot of limbs, spliced 1/2" (under handle) texas mesquite belly.  1 3/8" wide at fades.  Brown osage and hickory handle elements, brown osgae tip overlayes, lower limb 2" shorter than upper limb.

Mesquite is usually pretty expensive, but I got two half lengths boards of high quality for $25 on ebay.  Talked to Ed from Owl bows in the SW who does a lot of sinew backed mesquite stave bows.  He said it was srong in compresson and weak in tension.  I tried to set up two 34" pieces for 2 way lam with box joint splice, ran into knotty area and lost a lot of length from split out.    Had enough left to get a 61" bow with a butt joint, so I found a BL strip lying around and went for it.  Kind of a cool match-up, with the BL in the middle, with its compression problems.  Shoots very nicely. 

Glued in 1 1/2 inch reflex in each of the two glue-ups for a total of 3", settled in at 1.5 inch relfex.  Walnut stain on hickory, truoil overall.  Wood really comes up pretty.

Will try a bamboo back this spring.

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline snedeker

Re: hic/BL/mesquite trilam
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:51:24 am »
mesquite closer up

my son helps with my pics.  Looks like he needs a little work with his focusing. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:53:05 am by snedeker »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:55:35 am »
Looks pretty darn nice Dave, interesting combination ow woods.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 11:15:41 am »
That turned out nice for ya Dave. I still cant get used to looking at them shorter lower limb bows, 2" shorter seems pretty extreme doesn't it?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 11:38:48 am »
Yeah.  THe limb lengths were determined solely by the length of the pieces I had to splice to get the joint well supported under the handle.

It a lot thinner than it looks in the full draw shot because of the angle of the shot. I'm impressed with the energy storage capabilities of mesquite - could have been a much heavier bow with a ttouch more thickness. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 11:45:11 am »
Beautiful bow Dave,bet it is a sweet shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:45:21 am »
Congratulations on a really nice laminant, Dave.  Quite the challenge but fun, though, huh?!
Gotcha bookmarked under Laminant Bow of the Month, too for January 2008!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 01:21:36 pm »
Great bow Dave.  I'm with Ryan in how odd the uneven limb length looks.  I don't entirely understand the tiller on them.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 02:30:29 pm »
Good lookin bow! That's kinda funny that mesquite is expensive :), there's so much around here. Will try it some time I imagine...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 03:19:04 pm »
Nice bow Dave.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline snedeker

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 03:54:08 pm »
Thanks.  About the appearance of the tiller and the lower limb, I wonder if photo angles have anything to do with it.  Notice I am not quite an a right angle to the camera lens, showing the belly of the lower limb, and my boy is 5" taller than me and shooting downwards, thus showing the back of the top limb and perhaps exetnuating the shortness of the bottom.    I thought it looked less marked on the tillering stand.

huntersim

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 11:21:26 pm »
The bow looks good Dave....tiller looks to be squared away. I wonder what those dimensions would do with 60 lbs?

Offline mamba

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 11:35:59 pm »
Like the color of that wood Dave,and another fine looking bow.
Ray/NY

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 11:42:15 pm »
I like, now I need to get some mesquite. ;)....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Rich Saffold

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 12:07:07 am »
Tiller looks good, bow looks real good, and  its an interesting combination of woods. You get a star ;), and a slat of  bamboo if you show up at the front door...

Rich