Author Topic: Couple new ones  (Read 1515 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Couple new ones
« on: August 27, 2014, 04:18:43 pm »
Bryan Irwin and I attended a camping event on the Uwharrie River this past weekend. Some of the attendees wanted to see some knapping. These are a couple I made.

It was nice to make some points within a short distance of Morrow Mountain, which is one of the largest rhyolite sites in NC. It was used for thousands of years as the source for making tools and points in NC.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Couple new ones
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:29:26 pm »
Are those Ryolite? If so, my hat is "off to you", very impressive.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 08:23:04 pm »
Mullet, after I posted I realized that may have sounded like they were rhyolite, but they are Sonora and Texas rock.

There is some rhyolite that can work that well, but it seems to be scarce... :'(
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline beartail

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:25:34 am »
fixin to say,dang if that's ole ryo,you got some skill!!James Parker and Vinson minor can work that stuff like nobodies business!! Ive busted a couple hundred pounds of it about 10 years ago.it is a booger bear!!I have a couple authentic points from it.one sweet corner notch!! I found it here in Goldsboro NC.thay traded rock far and wide back in the day.worked material is everywhere here! I wonder how thay carried it so far? canoe?Had to be.but they still had to carry it by land at some point.a man was a man back then! but you didn't live long eather!peautyfull points by the way.i love that style!