Author Topic: Eating "Green"  (Read 7247 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Eating "Green"
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:13:40 pm »
My mid day meal was very eco-friendly.  Everything was organic, free range-of sorts, and perfectly delicious. 

Starting with a 7 inch section of Black Hills whitetail buck backstrap with treatment of a bit of common salt and some fresh ground black pepper:

Apply a little black cast iron skillet action with a dab of clarified butter to seal the deal.  Three minutes per side on very high heat:

Let stand 5 minutes, slice across the grain.  Serve with fresh garden tomatoes and grilled corn on the cob:

Low fat, low in bad cholesterol, light on the salt, light on the carbs (the corn has some), and just about as good as it gets.  Simple can be sublime.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Eating "Green"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:45:41 pm »
I'd have to take a nap if I ate that for lunch.   Venison backstrap and cast-iron, a perfect match. I use the same size skillet for back straps also. Try deglazing the skillet with some broth, add a shot of bourbon, some heavy cream. Reduce by half and pour it over the venison medallions.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:48:01 pm »
I deglaze the pan and save the drippings to add to soups and stews.  I'm not one to need much sauce over these medallions, getting so I wont even use garlic or herbs on them beyond salt and pepper.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:20:03 am »
Man - does that look good ! Just the way I like My Venison - very close to Tartar. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:58 am »
Looks really good, but shame on you for having half a strap left in August! Ive been out since May!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 02:03:48 pm »
Looks really good, but shame on you for having half a strap left in August! Ive been out since May!

No doubt! How did you manage that JW_H!!  :o
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 08:14:49 pm »
That's fantastic looking lunch!
I had grilled peanut butter 'wich & a beer.   :D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 12:31:10 am »

No doubt! How did you manage that JW_H!!  :o

It slipped out of the bag and worked it's way to the bottom of the chest freezer.  Actually, I save a few choice small packages for celebrations.  I always save one section of backstrap for around Thanksgiving when I dress up in 1770's gear, grab a flintlock, tommyhawk, knive, bedroll and fire making and head for the woods for a day trek.  Spit the meat on a skewer over a little pot fire, boil water for tea, and count my blessings as fast as I can as the meat cooks.  Truth be told, I could roast an ox past well done and not count them all.  One way I shorten the list a whole bunch is my saying "...the whole PA bunch and Twin Oaks, too..."

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:22:31 pm »
You forgot the Budweiser. I see it!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.