Author Topic: Cooking Show on TV  (Read 6231 times)

Offline neuse

Cooking Show on TV
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:29:47 am »
Really good cooking show on RLTV.
A Taste of History  Winner of 4 emmys.
This guy name George cooks dishes from colonial times in a colonial kitchen and usually has a small history lesson to accompany the the cooking.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: Cooking Show on TV
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:56:00 pm »
If I had a TV, I would check it out. I used to like cooking shows until Food Network turned most of them into personality cults. Back in the day, I liked watching Yan Can Cook which you could learn a lot from.

Here are some historical cooking shows that didn't make it:

1.) The Donner Party Cookbook

2.) Who's In The Kitchen With Vlad: The Court Cooking Of Vlad Tepes.

3.) Cooking Wild Mushrooms The Ancient Roman Way

4.) Atli's Last Feast: Family Meals From The Volsung Saga

5.) The Fine Art Of True Locavores: Making Locust Swarms Delicious Across History

6.) Fear Of Flying: Airline In-Flight Cooking Of The 1970s-1990s.

7.) We Are Bravo Company, And We Like To Party: Cooking With 1980s Era MREs

(and it's companion spin-off show "Something On A Shingle---U.S. Army Mess Hall Cuisine")

8.) Heads Up!---Authentic Cooking Of The Ancient Celts

9.) Fall Out For Family Fun: New Ways With Surplus Civil Defense Fallout Shelter Rations

10.) Iron Curtain Chef
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline neuse

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:00:01 am »
Yes, the old cooking shows were great.
I watch a selected few these days.
PBS still has some good ones.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »
There's some pretty funny stuff there Dharma! Gotta wonder if some of those might actually make on today's TV?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:59:28 pm »
Franken food

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:12:07 pm »
Yes, the old PBS cooking shows were great. With what I learned from Yan Can Cook, with my trusty carbon steel wok and $20, I could eat for a week in good ol' Los Angeles. I'd go to the ethnic grocery stores because everything there is half the price what you'd pay at the supermarkets. Usually better stuff, too.

Food Network used to be good, but then, as I said, it degenerated into a personality cult. Now all those food celebrities have their own lines of foods, spices, and cookware. Even barbeque utensils are not safe. The hilarious thing is, all that crap comes from the same places as the supermarket-brand generic stuff at half the price.

The last cooking show I saw that had any merit whatsoever was on Al-Jazeera Network. Now, wait, I know what people are thinking. But, seriously, go on You Tube and look up the show "Street Food" on Al-Jazeera. They went all over the planet and just looked into what vendors are cooking and selling on street corners stands. What everyday folks are eating there. It was very enlightening. For example, in Egypt, a fava bean dish is what's a traditional breakfast fare. Who knew?

I recently saw this movie that was made in India called "The Lunchbox". It was cool. It's a romance film, but it revolved around this system they've got in India where housewives prepare a lunch that goes into this multi-tiered lunchpail called a Tiffin Box. It stacks together so you can have a few courses, plus rice and roti in their own sections. The wife does this thing and a guy comes and collects the lunchpails from each home and they go by bicycle, train, and bicycle again to the husband's workplace. Each lunchpail has this coded tag these dudes understand so they know where each lunchpail goes. Then the dude picks up the empty lunchpail and delivers it back to the housewife using the same bicycle-train-bicycle transport. They have this thing down to a science! Unmarried people can contract with a restaurant to get this service. The movie is worth seeing. At least I dug it, anyway.

It's interesting that in Mumbai, where the movie takes place, they can do a system like this with just coded tags and everyone gets a home-cooked meal for lunch or one cooked from a restaurant if they don't have anyone to make them one. Delivered right to their desk and the empty pail picked up in return afterwards. Now, if they tried that here in America, you just know they'd fumble the whole thing by making it too complicated. Then someone would whine about the smell of the food on commuter trains. "Ewwww, I smell meat and I'm a vegan! I am therefore offended!" Then the government would get involved, "We need to regulate this. We need to make sure these are all balanced meals. We need a special tax on this service and also the food itself. There will need to be a fuel surcharge tax for delivery. Every lunchbox carrier will need a special foodhandler's license, background checks, blah, blah, blah..." The restaurants doing it would require you to go online to order each day: "Click here for your lunch options." Click! "Click here for vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-allergy sensitive." Click! "What color lunchpail do you want?" Oh, to heck with it, I'll just go to a burger joint!

And as far as street vendors, many other countries, they don't care. A lot of people just set up a stand in the street and start selling falafel or kebabs or what not. No one cares. Their government just goes, "Yeah, well, whatever. But, hey, that guy has some pretty tasty falafel! We can't rock the boat and tax the guy. He'll take his falafel elsewhere and then where will we be come lunchtime?" I heard of one country where they tried to tax the street vendors and they ended up with a riot where troops had to be called out. In the end, the government had to back down and concede defeat. Evidently, in some countries, street food vendors can make a great deal of cash just selling falafel or kebabs. They just buy a cart and supplies, have a family recipe that kicks butt, and bada bing, they're in business. Can't beat that. Over here, you have to get all these permits and licenses and crap. A kid can't even set up a lemonade stand anymore without some official coming around to shut him down because he hasn't got a foodhandler's permit. I heard school bake sales are now coming under scrutiny. "What?! These people are making and selling pies?! Why, this is an outrage! How dare they do this without a license! Aren't they aware of the Meringue Pie Regulation Act?!" Some other countries, they would just throw a pie in the official's face.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 06:56:05 pm »
I remember...."if Yan can cook, so can you"... ;D ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »
I think John Besh replaced Justine Wilson with the best Big Easy cookin.
I really like em both. Besh is awesome. Justin was funny.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 05:26:22 am »
Man - I'd kinda forgotten Justin Wilson - WAY funny. Used to have one of His cookbooks. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 11:00:48 am »
chamook,
I wish I could post some of Justin's vids that are on the web.
You can google them. I love the one about the big red snapper
or the mule in the swamp. lol
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 12:43:30 pm »
We westerners are often scared outa our boots about street vendor food in third world countries.  OMG! NO refrigeration! NO hot water or steam cleaners for utensils! FLIES!

Fact is, the situation requires that the vendor buy fresh daily, chose recipes that cook hot and fast, cook it on the spot, and have high turnover.  Exactly the situation you need to prevent food poisoning!

I had a WWII vet for a high school history teacher that had been everywhere in the world back in the 1950's and claimed the best policy was to only eat street food, never ask what it was, and trust your nose.  He was Andrew Zimmern before Andrew was born!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 02:53:17 am »
Some of the best food I've had has been from street or roadside vendors in Baja California. Almeja ceviche and goat meat burritos are some of the best, even if your companions are convinced you're going to die.
Yan Can Cook was a great one. I also liked Rick Bayliss and, of course, Julia Child. I've rarely had cable or satellite tv so PBS has been my cooking show resource. Now I don't get any tv reception so the internet suffices. There are some great cooking blogs out there like Maangchi, and Just Bento.

Guy

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:00:09 pm »
My wife and I made a run to a Russian grocery store so I could stock up on some ancestral delicacies. There on the meat counter, sitting right out in the---gasp!---open air were these hunter sausages. Not refrigerated and right where anyone could touch them. Just piled there like logs. I bought a pound of them, of course. Had one with kislaya kapusta for lunch. They make the kapusta right there. Theirs always tastes better than mine. Got a couple pounds of tvorog, too, and it came out of this big plastic bucket. Turned my wife on to Russian food and tonight is Siberian pelmeni and kapusta for dinner.

You can always tell good smoked sausages because they ain't refrigerated.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 09:19:53 pm »
lol
If you drink the local hooch, you will eat anything
the pretty local girl sets before you. Umm, like 100 year old
water buffalo pounded to a pulp, fish eye soup with bug laced bread.
Just spit the larva in your beer into the corner.
Unless someone is relieving them selves there.
Zuma