Author Topic: silencing bow?  (Read 2988 times)

Offline OffTiller

silencing bow?
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:03:16 pm »
so my bow is twanging. with the season approaching i would like to know what i can do to help silence it. I have some rabbit hides and a deer hide from last season. none are smoked, just basically rawhide with hair on. what are some options to help with this problem. i already know of the strips of hide through the string. thanks
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline peterdragon

Re: silencing bow?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:38 pm »
Hello, first post for me so here go's.  I use an arrow with plenty of weight to start with. Then I shoot from as high a brace being as I can. Then ill make some proofs from wool yarn. My arrows are pretty dang slow, but I get no noise other then a slight "thump" on release.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:28:20 pm »
I like the strips of hide in the string the best ,,,sometimes I just use one,,  I dont know anything better,,,, and I make sure where the arrow goes past the bow has some leather with the hair to keep the arrow from making noise on the bow,,i brace the bow where it shoots the best,, if it likes a low brace,, I cut the feather on the bow side so it does not scrape,,

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:52:00 pm »
What kind of string are you using?  I hear fast flight is more quite than dacron.
Always learning something new.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:54:53 pm »
I would look at brace hieght as already mentioned, arrow weight, your release, and even bow design... Show us a picture of your set up  ;).... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:31:48 pm »
If all these great suggestions dont quiet your bow down add silencers. strips of good fur wrapped in the bow string. A cheaper, but still great, way is to wrap yarn around your four finger about 12 times then pull the loops off, place the middle of the yarn wad into your bow string and cut the loops. makes a puff ball after a few dozen shots and works for a good long time.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:57:59 pm »
What is the draw weight of your bow and the grain weight of your arrows?  A less efficient bow sometimes is begging for a heavier arrow. 

Raising the brace height may help some, the fuzzy balls on the string will help even more. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:16:16 pm »
Take a couple of fat rubber bands and tie one on the top and one on the bottom of the string and see if that doesn't work. It ain't pretty but will get you by til you can find better string silencers.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:52:02 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline peterdragon

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 12:16:59 am »
If all these great suggestions dont quiet your bow down add silencers. strips of good fur wrapped in the bow string. A cheaper, but still great, way is to wrap yarn around your four finger about 12 times then pull the loops off, place the middle of the yarn wad into your bow string and cut the loops. makes a puff ball after a few dozen shots and works for a good long time.

I may have stolen that idea from you. Thats exactly how I do it. I found that the big fat 100% wool  they sell at hobby lobby works best for me. Dont know what its brand name is, just that its wrapper is brown with a black critter thing on it and it cost about $5.00.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 09:04:39 am »
I like strips of rabbit fur too put in just below the Flemish splice. The strip is about 5 inches long  and 3/8" wide. Wind it around and poke it back in.
If you need somthing waterproof you can get beaver strips. I think fly tiers call them zonder strips.
Jawge
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:08:18 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 09:39:37 am »
peterdragon, I now I dont remember where I got it from but everyone is welcome to it! I like real wool too. I have a few wads of two color twisted wool, brown and tan, dark green and I think black. When the puff out it has a camo-ish look to them.

Tsoukalas, I like mink and just tried silver fox recently. Antique shoos sell old lady hats, coats, and wraps in some decent furs and come apart fairly easy. cut the seams and slice out strips to make some good silencers
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 11:45:10 am »
I like strips of rabbit fur too put in just below the Flemish splice. The strip is about 5 inches long  and 3/8" wide. Wind it around and poke it back in.
If you need somthing waterproof you can get beaver strips. I think fly tiers call them zonder strips.
Jawge

WE CALL THEN "ZONKER" STRIPS.  tHE RABBIT COMES IN ALL KINDS OF COLORS.