Author Topic: gap shooting and self bows  (Read 6651 times)

deermaster

gap shooting and self bows
« on: January 07, 2008, 06:06:26 pm »
i am a gap shooter and after i reach full draw, i hold for about 3-5 seconds to be sure of my gap.  will this cause a major loss of cast and string follow in a self bow?  and also, i use the tip of the arrow as my windage reference on center shot bows.  can the spine of an arrow be lowered enough to allow this on a self bow tha is not center cut and still allow good arrow flight? thanks for any info!

Offline Kegan

Re: gap shooting and self bows
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:13:46 pm »
You should be fine. I shoot Hill's split-vision (insitinctive, but checkig yourself with the arrow point in your peripheral vision), and generally hold for 3-5 seconds myself. Cast loss comes at 5-10 seconds. String follow comes from over drawing/over stressing. Not sure about what you mean, but I know you can make a flatbow center shot by offsetting the limbs to the side and giving it a narrow handle (3/4" or so).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:10:45 am »
The longer you hold a self bow at full draw, the more stress you are adding to the limbs.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:21:33 am »
......Like Pat said. Also, ifn ya hunt from the ground ya gonna get at most 3 er 4 secs ta get an arrow off......bob

a finnish native

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 08:17:45 am »
to me 5 sec is way too much. even 3 feels bad to the bow in my opinion. I usually hold about 0-2 sec.
What pat said is true.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 09:11:28 am »
I have a good friend that shoot like that and he will wear a bow out a lot quicker than me.
I touch anchor and she is off.He makes his bow a little longer and wider and they hold up pretty good but do take more set.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 11:34:48 am »
My style of hunting sometimes requires holding for a long time.  If you are calling predators you have to draw before they come into the open, then wait for them.  If they stop, you could hold for 20 seconds.  I dont immagine it is good for a bow, but I have one that I shoot all the time that is 3 years old and has no string follow.  I practice snap shooting, but I also hold a lot while practicing.  If you have to hold 65# for 30 seconds when hunting, you better be able.  ;) This also gives you an excuse to make another.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 11:52:40 am »
Hi,
For me, the more I route it through the grey matter, the worse it is. As soon as I come to full draw, with a good anchor, the arrow is gone. No measuring, no looking at anything, except the target... including until the arrow hits.  My shooting is truly instintive. To me, it's like throwing a baseball... there is no way to measure. Look at the glove, and subconsciously, let your instincts do the rest. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and whatever works for you!!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:33:28 pm »
Good post. I am still trying to figure out what I am doing when it somes to shooting. These types of discussions are very helpful. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 04:41:01 pm »
It's kind of like the old saying, "Most misses are by 6 inches".  (caused by the distance between each ear).   ;)  Instinctive seems to work best for me with bows and shotguns. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 07:05:51 pm »
In Hunting with the Bow and Arrow, Pope does a test on the cast and holding time. I can't find it though ???.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:43:31 pm »
No, I don't think that your bow would take a whole lot more strain with a 3-5 second hold. If that method works for you, use it.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Glenn R.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 11:20:04 pm »
I respect all of your shooting techniques, but I also shoot Hill style----sort of. I detest the swing draw method which I've seen taught for recurves----I raise my arm, fully extended before drawing, and execute a slow draw--again with the Hill style--this way when I reach full anchor shes ready to go. I always figured this sssslow draw was better than holding for very long at peak weight. Sometimes a snap, swingdraw is neccessary---I use it maybe 1 out of 8 times when whitetail hunting---not much.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 12:20:59 pm »
It seems to me that the swing draw requires a minor pause 1-5 secs in order to orient yourself with the target line. This is the way I was initally shown. The way GlennR just described about extending the shooting arm and then drawing to anchor is the way I am trying to change to. When I started shooting a little heavier bow than what I was used to this was neccesary in order to insure proper alignment and form and still reach full draw. I think that it is also for me at least more stable than a swing draw and allows me to focus on the target more,  rather than " am I properly aligned with the target" It seems like swing draw caused my bow hand to drift more and the longer I hold it the more likely I am to move it. Like I said before though I have ALOT to learn here.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God