Author Topic: PROWLER! 40#@30" muslin backed hickory hunting bow  (Read 6331 times)

Offline kenroehr

PROWLER! 40#@30" muslin backed hickory hunting bow
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:34:50 am »
This is my first go at this contest, so please be gentle with your critiques.  This won't be my last bow however.  For this one, since it's my first, I thought I'd go for something pretty basic as far as overall shape and a pretty standard tiller.  So, I aimed for a 40# draw weight.  I didn't want to put any focus into making it pretty until I was satisfied with a good arching tiller.  I don't have the equipment to warp the ends or middle to make a recurve or reflex . . . yet.  But after months of only being able to work at it for a few hours at a time on weekends using nothing more than hand tools, except for my drill with rasping bit, I believe I've successfully finished this sucker.

It started as a simple piece of hickory 1x2 trim I ordered online from Home Depot.  You can see by the pic below that it was warped down toward the end (ignore the photobomb from my dog).  So I made some initial markings, and specifically marked the warped end a little to the side to compensate the warp.  Then I used the block planer to shape an initial taper.

I also made some markings in the center for the handle to have a bit of a flare after gluing on the riser.  The cut the flare out with small straight cuts with a hand saw down to the handle line a half inch apart then chiseling them out.  Then I roughed it out smooth.  But because of my tiller goal, I wanted to avoid going too flat.  So I ended up planing the flare inward to where it just disappeared.  Next time, I intend to aim for a heavier draw weight so it may have a flare.

After some roughing out with the rasping drill bit, hand rasps and mostly the block planer it started to take some shape and actually start to flex on the tillering mount.  When it came to fastening a string to it, I wanted to protect the back of the bow and I knew the backing wouldn't do it.  So before I added the backing I glued on some small pieces of sycamore from a tree I pruned onto the nock ends and roughed those to blend into the hickory.  Then just continued the roughing out all over, occasionally testing the tiller.

Finally, I had my tiller goal.  And it was time for finishing touches.  I backed it with muslin, then sprayed it all over with black semigloss Rustoleum for wood that I had leftover from painting some wicker furniture.  The string is a continuous loop from pre-waxed B50 Dacron and serving thread.  Then I used painters tape to fashion a pattern up the limbs and just giving the sycamore nock ends some color with a copper acrylic that for some reason looks more gold-ish on top of dried black paint.  The laced on a piece of suede over the riser for a grip.

*That is not intended to be product placement for the Phillies.  I don't watch sports.

I love firing this thing.  I only have 3 completed arrows, but I've fired those arrows over 100 times each. and I'm getting to be a pretty decent shot.  I had to put up a makeshift wall to stop the arrows from going through my hedge and into the neighbor's yard.  But that's when I was a worse shot.  I still need it though because the arrows go straight THROUGH the target.  What's saved me money is in lieu of arrowheads, I've just taken a cheap crayon-sharpener to the points of dowel rods.  This will not be my last venture into bow making.  I have plans for a recurve and I also intend to get a bandsaw in time to start making take-down recurves.  I know I can't submit those to the BOM contest, but they allow me to be more creative in the use of wood.  I also intend to make one for my daughter, a replica of Merida's recurve in BRAVE.

For now though, who knows.  Come Thanksgiving, we may be having "Extremely-free-range" turkey.

I thank all of you for any votes you'd cast for my bow, once I submit it for the August BOM contest.    I also appreciate constructive criticism and advice.  Also, if you live in the south Jersey area and are getting rid of a band saw, hit me up.  You won't see the last of me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: PROWLER! 40#@30" muslin backed hickory hunting bow
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:56:14 am »
Ken, I moved your post here for more to see.  If you want to have your bow considered for Bow of the Month you will have to send Cipriano(criveraville) a full draw pic plus a link to this post. If you have trouble, contact Cipriano for assistance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline docmann

• Proud Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:46:25 am »
Ken,
I have no experience with bow-making from boards, but it looks as if you pulled it off! You are obviously enjoying the bow, therefore it is a success. Like so many of us, you invest little blocks of time here and there, and the sum total of that investment is enjoyment and a hand-crafted, finished product you can take to the woods or range. This is the heart and soul of primitive archery.
If you would be inclined to PM me either your address, or better yet, a work address, local business who would receive a package for you, or PO Box ( that would be safer), I'll send you a handful of Sitka spruce self arrows, fletched with turkey feathers in the Plains Indian fashion, to accommodate a 40# draw weight (length of about 29" +/-).
Any man who puts that kind of effort into a bow deserves a quiver of arrows.
Congratulations! Keep up the good work!
Doc

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 06:01:02 am »
Nice job on your first,wished my first turned out that good,welcome to PA. You will enjoy it here. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:33:57 am »
     Welcome to the addiction!  Good job on your first bow.  You can't beat hickory for sheer indestructability. 
     When you mentioned shooting in the back yard, I thought I would mention a great inexpensive option for targets.  If you take a cardboard box and stuff it full of plastic sacks, like, walmart or dollar general use, or balls of plastic wrap, a box will last a surprisingly long time - literally hundreds of shots.  It will stop an arrow and can be pulled out with two fingers.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline John D

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:06:09 am »
This won't be my last bow however. 
Sure sign you've got the bug  :) 

I feel your pain; I put an arrow through a vinyl fence once and had to go apologize and ask for the arrow back.   :-[    Neighbors are cool about throwing a ball or a Frisbee back over the fence, but when they find arrows...

Congratulations on a shooter and welcome to PA.  You're in the right place.

John D

Boise

Offline kenroehr

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:22:44 pm »
Thank all of you for the extremely touching posts!  ;D

DocMann:  I will gladly accept your generous gift.  Turkey feathers are hard for me to come by.  I'll PM you right after this.

H. Rhodes:
Actually, try this:  Take about 5-6 boxes of generally the same dimensions, flatten them and cut off any over-hangs with a razor so that you've got 10-12 layers of cardboard.  then clamp & duct-tape the edges so they all stick together.  Then paint, or do what I do, print a picture of a hunting game animal, comic book supervillain or just someone you generally hate and pin it on.  Then fire away.  It was a trial and error accidental discovery I made that turned out pretty effective.

It's dense enough to take a hit, but soft enough to catch an arrow safely wthout ruining heads.

John D:  It's funny, I though the hedge back there was dense enough to catch them, and it was.  There are 3 stuck in there until winter when the leaves fall and I can see them.  I still have the other 3.  Luckily 'that' neighbor is over 100 years old and never goes outside anway.  So I've been able to dodge a kerfuffle, as it were.  *Wipe sweat from brow*

Thank you all again.  Once I get materials for a steam box, I'll get crackin on a recurve.  I love how everyone's so supportive on here.

Offline kenroehr

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 06:24:52 pm »
Ken, I moved your post here for more to see.  If you want to have your bow considered for Bow of the Month you will have to send Cipriano(criveraville) a full draw pic plus a link to this post. If you have trouble, contact Cipriano for assistance.

Thanks.  I appreciate it.  I put it there before reading the official rules.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 11:34:02 pm »
Good Job man that turned out awesome !!!
I like osage

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 12:26:33 am »
Ken, just a word of caution, in the photo on the tillering setup, that bow is frighteningly overdrawn. Only hickory would let you get  away with that.

On the tip overlays, you can get the protection you want with a lot less wood. That extra weight at the tips can rob some speed from the arrow.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 01:07:03 am »
That pattern on the back is uber cool! and that next to last picture where it is pulled way back, I wonder how it would shoot from that? maybe super fast.