Author Topic: Maybe a dumb question?  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Maybe a dumb question?
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:47:52 pm »
Could you glue perry reflex into a bow with sinew and tightbond? Is it possible to make a sinew backing strip on wax paper or something? Glass maybe? Then u could sandwhich it and pack it down to dry, or is this rubbish?

And no I don't have what it takes to try it. Lol
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline JonW

Re: Maybe a dumb question?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:49:37 pm »
I'm really not the guy to answer this question because I'll try something just because somebody says it won't work :) There is some "magic" that happens when sinew and wood mate together that should just be left to happen as they wish. Now go and show me something ;)

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:53:56 pm »
If your bow is pre tillered a bit the sinew pulls it into a reflex anyways.
Or you reverse brace and sinew like that.
You want your sinew to cure and shrink while its on the wood to get its performance.
It's worked for thousands of years for a reason!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:00:02 am »
Perry reflex is achieved by adding reflex to a belly and backing at glue up, generally with all wood backed bows. You can add reflex to a sinewed backed bow but that is not Perry reflex as I know it.  You'll also get better reflex using hide glue with the sinew instead of TB glue. TB glue and sinew makes a good backing but IMO you don't get the full potential of the sinew unless you use hide glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:26:56 am »
Ha on wax paper. It might look like you where making some type of wierd food. Don't let noone bake it on accident!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 05:10:06 am »
Perry reflex is achieved by adding reflex to a belly and backing at glue up, generally with all wood backed bows. You can add reflex to a sinewed backed bow but that is not Perry reflex as I know it.  You'll also get better reflex using hide glue with the sinew instead of TB glue. TB glue and sinew makes a good backing but IMO you don't get the full potential of the sinew unless you use hide glue.

well said Pat, that's exactly what I think. And yes it is possible to back a bow with a premade (right word?) strip of sinew.
I have or better had two strips of them from a plains bow, which had thrown off the backing with a loud bang like a gunshot. Actually I used one of the strips to back a 5 curve plains bow. That strip was laying around my shop for years. I soaked it for two days, it became slabby and thick but staid together, it was easy to apply as a whole.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:50:18 am »
James Parker lays out strips of sinew into bands that he combs smooth then applies to the back of the bow. He said he gets a better, smoother end result doing it this way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC