Author Topic: History of takedown bows?  (Read 4160 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

History of takedown bows?
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:50:39 pm »
I'm interested in learning some history about takedown bows. When did the first take down bows appear? Am I right in thinking they were called carriage bows?

DA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: History of takedown bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:55:20 pm »
Jay St Charles wrote a chapter in TBII about take down bows. It should have a little history about takedown bows in it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:04:44 am »
The carriage bow I seen at the Greyson collection actually was hinged with a latch as I recall... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 04:09:37 am »
When did they first appear?
Probably in neolithic times... some mad bowyer probably made one just to amaze his mates!
I can imagine a nice chunk of bone as a grip/socket. Two bits of boo bound together must count as a take down too? I'm not sure we can teach neolithic man all that much about making bows, I'm sure there were plenty of crude bows, but with the time they spent on their artwork, craft and social skills I bet there was some spectacular stuff make to get on the right side of the chief (or the deities) or to impress the ladies* :-*
After all they didn't have the distraction of computers, video games, smart phones, TV etc
Del
* hasn't worked for me ::)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:59:48 pm »
I am sure there were some limbs lashed together as well,,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:27:39 pm »
Eskimo bows were built up so they almost certainly could be taken down too.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 01:36:44 pm »
Volume III of the Traditional Bowyer's  Bible has a chapter on takedown  bows that touches on some of the early ones. It has a copy of a 1830 advertisement for an English company offering "jointed" bows. In the chapter,  Jay St.Charles says the Chinese and Japanese were using hinged and socketed takedowns  in the 1700s.

And,  you are correct that there was a period during which they were called "carriage bows." Now, of course, the are "horseless carriage bows."

St.Charles says the screw socket type that I like was first produced by James Duff in the 1920s.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:40:34 pm by asharrow »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine