Author Topic: What to do with Boo  (Read 2714 times)

Offline BowJunkie

What to do with Boo
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:06:03 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. My apologies  :)
I have made several sets of arrows using garden stake Bamboo.
I am not one to waste materials,, but I have quite a few left over that are to small in diameter (7mm) or less to make arrows with.
I could probably use them to make an arrow quiver or two,
But I would like some other ideas on things I could make to utilize the resources.
Thank you for your time, pictures and comments in advance.
johnny in Texas
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: What to do with Boo
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:44:18 pm »
You can cut them into lengths about 10" long, drill out the centers and make windchimes out of them. Trade them around or give them to friends and neighbors.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:58:34 pm »
     They are great for attitude enhancers for unruly, and undisciplined children, dogs, cows, horses, goats, etc. .
Tomato stakes ::) :P, like you said quiver stiffeners, or for use in weaving other material around them for making quivers, fish trap, craw fish trap, bird trap, ice fishing tip ups, kids arrows, cross bow bolts, for a small cross bow, use as a dowel, where you would normally use a wooden dowel.  Make a N.A. Back rest,swagger stick, pointer, long chop sticks, for cooking, just trim one end of each on a long angle on one side, so you have a long taper, and then lightly flatten the other side, and use that side on the inside of your chop sticks, so you have a thin flat end for picking up small, as well as larger pieces of food, while cooking., ram rod, for muzzle loaders, if long enough bend in a hoop, for drying small hides, split into thin slats, and make kites, use them for making baskets, use whole pieces for the ribs, and other material for the weaving.  You can heat them, and shape them for unique baskets.  Make a folding, or non  folding wine rack, clothes hamper frame,split them for shiskabob skewers,  and a lot of other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

Wayne

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:20:26 pm »
If you're in the Southwestern states near any of the tourist traps, use them and fletching scraps to make "arrows" they can sell as souvineers. All that really matters is a cool crest on them that looks authentic, some of the "buck-a-bag" stone points coming over from India on them, and they'll buy them from you sometimes. Especially if your fletching looks good and what you're palming off doesn't look like flu-flus as most of them do.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:30:53 pm »
7mm isn't to narrow for a arrow if it dosent have a lot of pith. Other then that you can make kid arrows whistles and pens
I like free stuff.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:37:52 pm »
I made my son (2years old) a little bow out of one. doesnt take much to give it a decent enough tiller. shoots pretty good too
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:18:15 pm »
Google "Panda Bow". It is made with multiple culms bound together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:02 pm »
I just wanted to take the time and say thank you guys for all of the ideas.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 02:34:52 am »
Pat, I made o e of those years ago. 50#@25" and it shot well. Big around the handle and it squeaked when drawn from the boo rubbing against its neighbor under stress, but it would be very effective at close range.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others