Author Topic: Lucky to be still here  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: Lucky to be still here
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 04:51:45 pm »
We usually have to put a lot of work into a jackrabbit drive. First, we have to purify ourselves and our bows with shaft shaving smoke. None of us can afford English longbows, so we have to make do with flatbows, but we've put a lot of work into the charms we've painted on them with red ochre, so this helps. We have to sing our battle songs and prepare our line of bowmen shoulder-to-shoulder. If everyone chanted the right songs over their arrows and did not break the taboo of not mentioning electronic entertainment devices, we'll usually be all right. People beat the bushes and drive the jackrabbits towards us and we then shoot volleys of arrows tipped with steel trade points we hardened ourselves with a blowtorch and a bucket of old motor oil. Someone told us this works and his points did good, so we copied it. During sharpening of the trade points, it is important to never eat micro greens salads, roasted skinless chicken breast, or tofu, or the luck will drain away from the points. The points will be insulted and you will cut yourself during sharpening. If the arrows find their marks and the hunt is successful, then the crests on the arrows will tell who shot what. But if the arrows of two or more hunters are in the same jackrabbit, then they have to roll for it, highest number winning. And while the dice-rolling is going on, no one may speak of vegetarian cuisine or break wind. Our quivers have special pockets sewn on the outside to carry these dice, too. The loser of the roll has to skin and gut the jackrabbit, but he gets to keep the tail. What the tail is used for is not spoken of and none dare bring it up into after-dinner conversation. Any arrows broken during the hunt must placed into a steel pail on the right side of your back porch and people must not look upon them during noon and it is strictly forbidden to whistle while looking directly at them. If someone does those things, they may not drink coffee for five days.

If you do these things, you may survive a jackrabbit hunt.   
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 05:37:26 pm »
I could tell you about the time I knocked a racoon out of the tree with a 3 foot tree branch while coon hunting when i was just a young lad but it's a tale that brings up nightmares. I'd have to drink a bottle of whiskey and eat some Poyote buttons to relive it and have sworn off such things since I turned 60.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 05:52:20 pm »
Sounds to me like squirrel slayer is back or he has a brother. Not again

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 08:36:18 pm »
We usually have to put a lot of work into a jackrabbit drive. First, we have to purify ourselves and our bows with shaft shaving smoke. None of us can afford English longbows, so we have to make do with flatbows, but we've put a lot of work into the charms we've painted on them with red ochre, so this helps. We have to sing our battle songs and prepare our line of bowmen shoulder-to-shoulder. If everyone chanted the right songs over their arrows and did not break the taboo of not mentioning electronic entertainment devices, we'll usually be all right. People beat the bushes and drive the jackrabbits towards us and we then shoot volleys of arrows tipped with steel trade points we hardened ourselves with a blowtorch and a bucket of old motor oil. Someone told us this works and his points did good, so we copied it. During sharpening of the trade points, it is important to never eat micro greens salads, roasted skinless chicken breast, or tofu, or the luck will drain away from the points. The points will be insulted and you will cut yourself during sharpening. If the arrows find their marks and the hunt is successful, then the crests on the arrows will tell who shot what. But if the arrows of two or more hunters are in the same jackrabbit, then they have to roll for it, highest number winning. And while the dice-rolling is going on, no one may speak of vegetarian cuisine or break wind. Our quivers have special pockets sewn on the outside to carry these dice, too. The loser of the roll has to skin and gut the jackrabbit, but he gets to keep the tail. What the tail is used for is not spoken of and none dare bring it up into after-dinner conversation. Any arrows broken during the hunt must placed into a steel pail on the right side of your back porch and people must not look upon them during noon and it is strictly forbidden to whistle while looking directly at them. If someone does those things, they may not drink coffee for five days.

If you do these things, you may survive a jackrabbit hunt.

I might get an iPhone if there is an app for that.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 08:42:53 pm »
My 280 remington 7mm, or the Mossberg 500 12 gauge with shredder sabots? Might end up getting a 50 cal. to be sure. Maybe some explosive, Rambo style tips... ya know, to keep it primitive.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 10:19:32 pm »
Who is this "Squirrel Slayer"? Sounds like he runs with a fast crowd.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 04:52:59 am »
Yeah..... what ever became of our squirrelly friends? Werent there 3?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 09:22:54 pm »
 All you need is 1 good arrow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Zuma

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 09:37:38 pm »
I watched this squoool take a thorn out of a full grown lions paw.
I ended the lion with my dagger and put the squoool in a hamster cage
to power my computer until it matured and died. Made a pot pie and a holster.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 02:37:43 pm »
Breath easy boys, the devil is down. First one of the season with my bow, Bushboy must have made me a blessed weapon for the red demon of sprucey origins is no more. Now what was that ritual again...

There is a post about it in the 2014 hunting area of hunting an shooting.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 06:46:39 pm »
That's some quality shooting. Didn't even knock his hat off.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 08:52:33 pm »
The head was a little... smashed. looked pretty gnarly so I wasnt sure if it was apropriate to post... things hanging and such. Plus if I hide the wound then the others wont know what happened, might trick another one into giving me the evil eye at a good shooting distance. I just have to be ready for the one who was circling for the kill, like raptors in jurassic park, or wolves... decoy makes faces and lures you in while the blood thirsty thugs trap you in a ring of death... seen it a hundered times. skeletons in shredded blaze orange, claw marks on trees from the poor souls trying to escape. Its a brutal world in the woods, Im just trying to make them a little safer for the hunters, deer, and even bears

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 10:48:59 pm »
You got off lucky. I once saw a skeleton hanging from a safety harness attached to a treestand. Poor guy didn't stand a chance. Got surrounded by squirrels and ran out of ammo. Didn't think to bring a tomahawk, and that was his first mistake. Mistake number two was failure to bring an appropriate knife. Anything less than a 7" blade is just a letter opener by another name. Mistake number three was, for the looks of the scene, turning his back on the forest. Never turn your back on the forest. You never know what's out there. Got to keep your head on a swivel out there. Mistake number four was he didn't have a single hunting charm on him. I mean, seriously, how long does it take to carve one out of antler with a flint knife and polish it with wet sand and a piece of buckskin? Mistake number five was he didn't have on a decent hat. You have to have decent headgear out there or the squirrels will see you're just a newbie and they'll be all over you in seconds. All those mistakes, and the squirrels will eat you for breakfast. But go out there prepared, it'll be a whole different conversation regarding who eats who.