Author Topic: straightening a stave  (Read 4058 times)

Offline jeffp51

straightening a stave
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:44:37 pm »
At what point should I attempt to straighten a stave?  I have some mountain maple that has really beautiful grain, but it is knotty and not nearly as straight as I thought it was when I cut it.  quite a bit of side-to side bending, and the tips definitely don't line up.  I would like to put a little recurve in the tips, too, but I think it should be straight first.  I have two staves mostly roughed out, but still unbending, and probably still a little green.  should I wait till they are all dried out, until the staves are floor-tillered, or start trying to bend them now?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: straightening a stave
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:25:39 am »
You can take a green stave down to floor tiller stage without damaging it. Be sure the back and ends are well sealed. If green, steam is your best option. Steam will help dry wet wood.
 Pics of your stave will help us determine the  best route to take. If possible I like to wait until first low brace before using heat to get the string to line up. Staves with drastic bends, twists, hoop-de-doos should be corrected in stages first, working to a relatively straight, workable bow blank.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 01:49:42 pm »
i think that is very sound advice,, getting in a hurry or to aggressive,, can damage the wood,,, also keep in mind,, it does not have to be perfect straight,, to make a nice bow,,

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:11:39 pm »
i think that is very sound advice,, getting in a hurry or to aggressive,, can damage the wood,,, also keep in mind,, it does not have to be perfect straight,, to make a nice bow,,
[/quote

i'll second that! I had a black locust stave that was driving me nuts, and someone here asked the right question when I wanted help straightening it. the question? why does it have to be straight? turns out, I had a center shot stave and didn't realize it, because I had this notion that the string had to pass the handle in the middle,. silly me! ;)

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:07:02 am »
I have two staves I am working on right now.  here are some pictures of the bends I need to straighten
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:29:45 am by jeffp51 »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 02:09:31 am »
more pics.  this is the second stave.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:30:03 am by jeffp51 »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:11:23 am »
Here are some of the knots from the belly side.  At what point do you drill them out?  I know these staves are probably too complicated for a beginner, but it is what I have to work with, so I will do my best.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 04:49:58 pm »
others may have a different opinion, but I don't see a lot to be overly concerned about, as far as straightness goes. I see a couple of center shot staves! the s shape and prop twist are common, and properly worked, give a nice bit of character. the knots may or may not be an issue. once again, if properly worked to a good tiller, they shouldn't be an issue. I've seen guys on this board take far more difficult pieces to full use. having said that, I will leave any further comment to those to whom I refer. gentlemen? it's time for those with more expertise to chime in!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:53:58 pm »
You can't really tell how the string will track until you brace the bow. Keep working until you can get to low brace then post pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:03:23 am »
The less wood there is, the easier it is to bend.
So at least get it roughed out or towards floor tiller if it's not too bent to do that.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.