Author Topic: Tree id  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Loope

Tree id
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:48:39 pm »
Cut a few trees to clear a path for the mower cart.  I saved and sealed the ends on a couple of straight pieces from this one.  Can anyone help with an ID, if this is worth keeping for a bow?  Otherwise it becomes firewood.

I am in Tennessee, the tree seems to be similar in density to a dogwood I also cut today (similar size felt near the same weight).  The leaves are single, elliptical, non-toothed, and alternate.  Twigs are reddish brown, small branches have smooth gray bark, trunk is rough gray bark.  There was no fruit, nuts, seeds, or flowers on the tree to help with ID. 

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Tree id
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:29:20 am »
I think it might be Pyrus calleryana, but I'm not sure. The bark does resemble a pear of some sort, and the rust spots on the leaves are also very likely in a pear. But then leaves should show at least some serration in Pyrus. While yours does indeed appear completely smooth.
Could you please check again for the fruits? A tree that size should have some fruits (although birds might have eaten them all). Fruits don't need to be bright red and easy to see. A Pyrus can have small (½") green berry-like fruits. But the absence of fruits is usefull as well: flowering pear Pyrus calleryana is selected for its flowers, and not its fruits.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:06:57 am »
Water oak Maybe? They tend to like moist bottom land. The bark roughens with age.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:38:02 am »
Black tupelo/ Black gum
                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:06:05 am »
Yep.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:01:01 am »
Black gum, I understand it makes a better bow than sweet gum but have no experience to back that statement up.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:08:26 am »
That would be my guess also, I am guessing it will make a bow. Where in TN. do you live ? I live in  N.Middle. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Loope

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:33:44 am »
I should have also mentioned that I cut the leftover stuff into firewood pieces and tried splitting it with a hydraulic splitter.  It didn't really split, the grain went everywhere, even on straight, knot-free pieces, and the splitter just kind of tore it apart.  The splitter didn't go all the way to the bottom, and left a couple inches still together.  I couldn't pull it apart, and had to chop those last couple inches apart with an ax.  This seems to fit with what I have heard on how tough it is to split black gum.

Pappy, I am in Louisville TN, which is just south of Knoxville.  I came to my first Classic two years ago, made my first bow there, and again last year.  I absolutely love your place!

Michael

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 11:56:53 am »
if it's blackgum, the crushed leaves will have a spicy odor. Sweetgum also has this, but somewhat weaker

Offline Loope

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 12:09:00 pm »
I meant TN Classic 2013 and 2014...

Darksoul, I went back out today and carefully scoured every branch for any fruits, berries, seeds, etc., but found nothing.

I crushed some leaves and they do have an interesting smell...

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:21:40 pm »
It's black gum

Offline Loope

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 10:06:38 pm »
So with black gum, since the grain is so interlocking, would that mean I don't need to seal the back if I peel the bark?  I haven't de-barked yet, but may go ahead and do that in the next few days.  The ends are sealed and it is in my garage.

Thanks for the ID help!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 10:23:06 pm »
Interlocking grain is irrelevant, you seal wood to prevent drying checks. If you debark, seal the back and ends well, so moisture is forced to leave through the belly