Author Topic: Merlin  (Read 2328 times)

Offline DC

Merlin
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:55:51 pm »
The Merlins nested across the street this year. They had 3 young. They came and bathed in our backyard fountain a few times. This is the only picture I got.

Offline Zuma

Re: Merlin
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:44:01 pm »
My son's favorite bird.  Bigger cousin to the Kestrel
and little brother to the Paragrin.
I wished you had a pic of the peeps.
Great photo.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:21:38 pm »
I almost lost my kestrel to one of these little killers!  Hendrix was tethered on a block perch in the backyard while I was raking leaves.  That little bandito blew past me like a bullet and only the fast reactions of Hendrix bailing off his perch and hitting the end of his tether saved his butt. 

I am sure the merlin was anticipating the kestrel attempting to flee and corrected her trajectory to intercept Hendrix, but did not calculate the kestrel being stopped short on the end of his leash! She overshot by a few inches and pulled up and over the fence. 

If you have bird feeders, it can attract the attentions of these little predators.  I get a few calls every year to come "trap" these terrible and cruel killers.  I tell people that taking one out will only leave a void his brother/sister/cousin will exploit.  In order to discourage them, STOP FEEDING THEIR PREY'S FOOD! When the songbirds wander off to other feeding stations, the merlin/coopers hawk/sharpshin hawk will wander off, too.  Resume feeding after a few weeks.

Thanks for posting this pic.  It takes a dedicated full time wildlife photographer dozens of hours to get a decent photo of a bird like this.  For one thing, as you know, they do not sit still long!  And for another, they know when you turn your attention on them for the photo and off they go! Your shot is not only a great illustration, but it's downright artistic!  Nice, indeed!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:38:48 pm »

Beautiful ! 8)  Oh, I think it's time to clean the lichen off the roof...... ::) ;D

Wayne

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:05:28 pm »
Thanks Guys.  ;D ;D This was taken in July and the birds were only a few days out of the nest. I think that's the only reason I got this. You can't get within a country mile of an adult.
The moss is on our gazebo. We think it looks cool :D :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:45:01 pm by DC »

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:56:06 am »
That's pretty  sweet!  A guy I know hunts with them.  I posted a video on it a while back.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:13:13 pm »
PrimTim's video is kinda funny.  Watch him burn about 3,000 calories worth of energy trying to scare up a couple hundred calories worth of prey for the falcon!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »
My father in law has a few bird feeds in his yard. He was sitting on his porch and a guy stopped by and asked if he could help him catch a raptor. He caught a small house finch, and put him in a cage on the lawn. He then set up a net and waited about 10 minutes. The Bird (Not sure thought he said a falcon) flew into the net trying to get the finch. He quickly put a cap on him, let the finch go and was on his way.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.