Author Topic: Hackberry long bow Deminsions  (Read 6454 times)

Offline BowJunkie

Hackberry long bow Deminsions
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:02:58 am »
Anyone have dimensions for a Hackberry long bow?
Target is 50-55 @ 28"
I have a Hackberry stave I cut a year and a half ago.
The stave is 1-1/2" wide by 2" thick by 72" long,
Pretty straight grained other than an "internal wavy knot" about an 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" in from the back,
and located 2/3 up the limb from center.
The growth rings are 1/8" thick on average
I believe I can work the knot out of the bow profile.
Johnny
in Texas

blackhawk

Re: Hackberry long bow Deminsions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:35 am »
What's your definition of a longbow? Seems to be lots of different opinions on that one  ???

BUT...from what I'm understanding it sounds like its almost laid out for you already...don't chop off any length,and keep it 1 1/2" wide till mid limb then taper to your tips...and I'm assuming this is going to at least be bending in the handle to some degree? If so you can narrow that section down a hair if ya wanted to..just make it a smooth non abrupt transition in doing so

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:23:54 am »
That's a good question BlackHawk.
My definition of a longbow is the "traditional looking English long bow"
Basically the "war bow" looking bows, but I am not looking for 100 plus draw weight.
Some people  claim the "American flat bow / flat bow are long bows, but I disagree.
I would like to go as short as possible for navigating the woods, as I would use this to stalk hunt.
I am not really one to sit while hunting.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:26:52 am »
Go to the war bow section and post. Some of those fellers don't come over here. Lots of that kinda book smarts there. It's on my to do list.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:13:56 am »
Hackberry wont make an ELB. It will make a nice flat bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:01:12 pm »
Pearlie, I had a feeling you were gonna say that. "You being the Hackberry king" and all.
That was a compliment.  ;D
I have quite a bit of seasoned Hackberry and already made one flat bow with it.
I also have one very questionable Osage stave.
I guess after making a few board bows and several flat bows, I am just looking to broaden my horizons so to speak.
I'm just not sure I have what it takes to pull off a re curve, Like the one you made.
So I take it Hackberry is to weak in compression to make an Elb?
If so could I use a belly lame ?
I want to make an Elb, but again I only have Osage and Hackberry.
Also thank you guys for all of your input, very much appreciated.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 12:12:43 pm »
Osage makes one fine ELB. You will have some tell you its too heavy and so on, that's simply not true and mostly passed on info with no experience behind it. I have one Mr. Art Butner made me and I have shot a few others made by buddies. Sweet bows, all of them.

Hackberry would be a nice core wood for an ELB because its so light.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 01:23:12 pm »

Challenge accepted!!!  :P  :laugh:

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »
Lol Blackhawk, does this mean you are going to make a Hackberry Elb???
If so how about a build along?  :)
Johnny
in Texas

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 02:33:27 pm »
He will, about 90" long!

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 03:29:19 pm »
I think you can make a elb out of hackberry. The wood is quite resistant in tension and compression (It's somewhat like rubber). If the bow turns out a little bit sluggish then just toast the belly. I think 72 ntn it's a good size.
Just my 2cents.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 02:33:04 pm »

You mean YOU cant make one!!! I can,and so far so good(and cross me fingers)  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: what do I win!!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

its 76" ntn...50@28" as shown in the full draw...its been out to 29" so far(and ill take it another inch or two farther)...it just adheres to the 5/8ths rule...im 74" tall so its totally within reasonable length...unbraced pic is ten minutes after unstringing where its bounced back to 3" of reflex...the stave had a natural 4" of starting reflex,and i didn't induce anymore...I barely toasted it,and just more or less tried to even some things up and move the string over ...not even sure I d say I tempered it honestly,and its showing good results so far with where im at with it...I still need to reduce my outers some and give it one more thorough shooting session before I slick it up....it has nice early string tension,and is smooth to draw and shoot....and its def no dog either  8)  8)  8) heres some proof  8)  8)  8)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 05:56:48 pm »
Nice looking elb Blackhawk!

BowJunkie--I guess a person could make a 72" elb, probably couldn't stalk anything larger than a squirrel though  >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:48:11 am by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 06:45:56 pm »
That does look good Chris, excellent tiller and the retained reflex sure gets my attention.  Nicely done indeed but a bit long for my taste. ;D ;D
PS, you kicked that sucker out quick too, did you already have that one started or is it really that easy for you to make
      a killer bow from stave to full draw in less than a couple weeks?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 07:34:41 pm »
Thanks Hrothgar....guess I'm gonna have to go kill a deer with it now to disprove another naysayer  :P  :laugh:  :laugh:

Thanks bb...elb's are super easy to make in no time short...I started this one from scratch from a stave after "someone" let some b.s. out there butt  >:D  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: and its an elb,and they're long ;)

I would think this totally doable for the op's listed intended specs with a 72" stave

I narrowed my tips,and shot another 50 arrows out of it...and took it out to 30" shooting it...I'm calling it a bow ;)