Author Topic: Bonneville shoot  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Bonneville shoot
« on: September 15, 2023, 09:04:02 am »
Well it was interesting to say the least this year. Rain, 50-60 mile winds and some new records!
The most impressive was Daniel Hawkins! Five new records in the junior division. Most of which was close to the men’s records. I understand he made his bow for this shoot also. Maybe Kevin can get on and tell the hole story. We need more folks coming out. Daniel is a perfect example of the record’s can be broke . I had Jessica Brake one record with a complex composite bow of mine. I did not do so good this year but had a large time.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline avcase

Re: Bonneville shoot
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 09:33:24 pm »
Chuck Loeffler set a new 70# Broadhead flight record with his sinew backed juniper bow. The bow weighed in at only 61 pounds, but sent a Broadhead arrow over 273 yards downrange. Chuck’s son North Loeffler (11) was pretty thrilled establishing a junior record with a simple composite bow and regular flight distance past 205 yards. I believe this is over twice as far as I shot at my first flight competition!

The star of the event certainly was young Daniel Hawkins in the junior men’s class.  His longest shot was over 329 yards in the flight competition with his own osage recurve self bow. All the primitive shooting was done with natural material strings as well, which puts these results on a level playing field with the historical flight shots prior to the appearance of synthetic materials.

There were some additional shooting that may not have resulted in a record, but was every bit as impressive regardless. Arvin weaver put his 50 pound osage self bow up against the modern longbows in the Broadhead flight category and shot a distance of 242 yards, 2 feet, plus 11 inches.  To put this in perspective, this exceeded the modern longbow records (bows using carbon fiber and other modern materials) shot up through 2019!  This makes quite a statement about Arvin as a bowyer. Pretty awesome!

Alan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 10:16:57 pm »
Fantastic!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 10:04:33 am »
Alan you forgot to mention that bow had broke and been patched back together.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline avcase

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 11:34:01 pm »
Alan you forgot to mention that bow had broke and been patched back together.

Arvin,
Thanks for reminding me. Bringing the bow back from the dead makes the story any better!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 01:02:00 pm »
I’ve been away from this forum for a while and just seeing this. It was another great year and my son can’t wait to come back next year. You guys pointed out the highlights. Arvin used a broken bow for a record. My new bow with 9” of reflex broke when my string broke so I used a bow that lost 8 pounds of draw weight from its prime a few years ago and so I figured it was breaking down and shot out. Instead it shot 10 yards further than last year when it weighed 69#. I made some new arrows and perhaps that arrow was just perfectly tuned for the bow at 61#. That’s one of the great things about flight. Beyond all the physics and arrow dynamics, sometimes there is the shoulder shrug “huh”. Just fyi. The arrow was one I made from one of those cheap bamboo shafts you can find online from China. I got a couple hundred a couple years ago to get matching sets after spine and sizing. This was one of the smaller diameter stiff shafts. 

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 02:39:37 pm »
Very cool guys!  Well done indeed. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com