Author Topic: Flight shooting  (Read 10218 times)

Offline Badger

Flight shooting
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:06:40 pm »
      First of all I want to thank Mark and PA for letting us have this site. We will see how it goes. Flight shooting in not just about the fastest bow, it is a sport just like target archery that requires tecnique and arrow tuning. Good tecnique for flight shooting I would say is quite a bit easier to learn than becomming a top target shooter, but once you get into the finer aspects does require some knowledge and practice.

Building a competitive flight bow at this point is not a big deal, several proven designs will easily cast arrows into world record ranges. Hopefully over the next several years this will become more difficult. I would say the biggest challenge right now is building arrows that will shoot properly from the bow. Light arrows will loose velocity very quickly if they don't come out of the bow just right. The faster the bow the harder it is to properly tune a light arrow.

Last weekend I confidently brought my fastest ever bow to Utah for the 2014 annual shoot. In the first round I get beat by a little girl shooting the first bow she ever built which was about a 20# english longbow. I did redeem myself later on by selecting better matched arrows but it does demonstrate the importance of good arrow flight. Durring practice I saw one arrow go about 50 yards and suddenly do a loop-de-loop and come right back at the archer. This was a 100#+ bow he was shooting and we were diving for cover. Note: Arrow tuning and properly built arrows are a big deal!

At present I seem to get my best distances from moderatly fast 60ish inch long bows with skinny tips. They seem to tune easier and hold less mystery for me when tuning. Last year I broke a record with a broken down broken r/d bow that had previously been one of my better bows. The bow just shoots clean, it is also an excellent target bow.

The bow I shot this year was by far the fastest I had ever built that held up for a series of shots, I was hitting 260 fps with it on the chrono not hitting full draw. I drew the bow an extra 3" for the flight shoots and should have easily been able to exceed 400 yards. I think about 348 yards was my best shot. I plan to dedicate this year to tuning and not worry as much about the bows as long as they are decent.

Broadhead flight shooting is much more straight forward. You need a good clean crisp release and the fastest bow you can build. Arrow tuning is important but not at all difficult with properly spined arrows. I currently hold the 50# self bow record with 221 yards and the 50# simple comp record which I just barely got this year at 230 yards. After building about 4 bows for this event I wasn't satisfied with i decided to just put a bunch or reflex into one and if it held the reflex screw the testing just take it and go. The bow I got the record with is boo backed osage, wth abotu 3 1/2" reflex. I gave the bow away at the shoot so no photos. I have seen many bows here I could have done just as well with. All the records in the primitive classes are still very attainable.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Flight shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 12:21:39 am »
what is one of the best designs for a flight bow?

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:07:50 am »
  Look at Marks bow designs below, I think this design produces the best speed from my experience. I was going to say before Mark posted this very much like Marks bows but shorter, a little less reflex and shorter recurves and thats exactly what he posted. The only difference I would say is to stop when the bow starts loosing the reflex or drop the draw weight if neccessary so the bow doesn't take and set or loss of reflex. Light arrow bows are all about being efficient even if you have to sacrifice some energy storage using a shorter draw.

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:31:06 pm »
Badger, thanks for your report. I'm going to have to Google around to see if I can find photos/Youtubes/results of the Utah flight shoot.
Living here in central Oregon's basin/range/playa country, I have all sorts of great places to shoot, once I come up with a bow and some proper flight arrows.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 12:48:14 pm »
  Sign up for the flightshooting facebook page, all results have been posted over there. as well as quite a few pics and a couple of videos.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:05:33 am »
Badger - have the dates for next years flight shooting champs at the Salt Flats been released yet? I am going to do my best to get out there for next year but I need to know the date well in advance. Thanks.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 03:06:55 am »
One more question!
Where can you get a copy of the rules for Primitive bows?

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:47:35 am »

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 03:09:18 pm »
   Adam, those records are outdated by about 6 years now, we should have the current site up and running soon hopefully.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 03:20:47 pm »
That would be awesome. Please post a link when you do.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 03:51:03 pm »
  It is a good place to look up the rules. We have added several classes in Asian archery since this was last updated but the rules shown have not changed.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 03:17:29 am »
Thanks  :)