Author Topic: Sexy Static  (Read 13313 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Sexy Static
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:25:51 pm »
Started my first static recurve a while back, only worked on it when the mood struck me which has been a good bit lately.

I caught a lot of flack from the so called experts on this site when I mentioned adding overlays or underlays to my static tips. You would have thought I said that Elvis was actually gay by the tone of the comments.

Never being one to fall into lockstep with conventional wisdom, I forged ahead. I am in the shoot in phase at this point and am really impressed with my statics performance.

Just a little teaser of what I consider a sexy static. I added a bunch of wood to the back and removed a bunch of wood from the belly to accentuate the bend of the curve, the tips are a little over 3/8" wide.

I put the first coat of Tru-oil on the handle and back this morning, holding off on the belly finish until the shoot in and final tillering adjustments are complete.

Offline Badger

Re: Sexy Static
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 12:29:35 pm »
 Looks good so far,  can't imagine why anyone would give you flack for a method you choose to use.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:42:05 pm »
Looks sexy as heck to me  :-* Don't worry about the nay-sayers.  Where would we be if everyone stayed inside the box?

Looking forward to more pics!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:43:08 pm »
Looks good so far,  can't imagine why anyone would give you flack for a method you choose to use.

+1,  looks sexy indeed.  Can't wait to see the rest

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 12:44:42 pm »
Looks real nice.   Question, did you put the overlays on after the static was bent (hard since it covers the bend)  or did you bend them already on thereby bending the glue joint?  In my mind, easier woodworking to add the extra meat on the belly side, but it looks so much nicer imho like you have done.  Russ. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 12:47:27 pm »
I was kinda' mystified myself Steve, one guy said only a rank amateur would consider what I had proposed. I haven't posted pictures of my bows here in years, perhaps he thought I was a beginner at bow making and needed some stern "guidance".

As for the overlays; I bent them on the same form as I bent the static on and added them after I bent the static, then filed away the excess wood to create the look you see in the picture.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:59:29 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 01:00:29 pm »
Skillfully done. Look forward to seeing more.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 01:13:17 pm »
From here it looks pretty good, can't wait to see more..............what are the woods?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline peterdragon

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 01:32:38 pm »
I was kinda' mystified myself Steve, one guy said only a rank amateur would consider what I had proposed. I haven't posted pictures of my bows here in years, perhaps he thought I was a beginner at bow making and needed some stern "guidance".

As for the overlays; I bent them on the same form as I bent the static on and added them after I bent the static, then filed away the excess wood to create the look you see in the picture.

Stern guidance has no place where fun is being had. Glad you went ahead with the project. Looks nice.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 01:41:26 pm »
She looks very nice and sexy, Eric.   You know, some folks do and some just have to find fault. The proof is in the pudding and your pudding looks pretty tasty. (that didn't sound quite right but you know what I mean)  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 01:47:16 pm »
Who on earth advised against that? Are you sure they weren't just saying  get the bow  to prove itself before sprucing up the nocks too much? Kind of like maybe shooting a bow a bit before you consider it snakeskin worthy?
 I must have missed that post where you were advised against it
 Mind you because your overlays extend down the curve with a series of unsupported  glue joints the potential is there for them to peel up if the curve starts to work in any way.
 Adding some underlays to the curved portion would have actually been an even better idea. You just have to find an area to trim the fat for every extra bit you add.
 Carson's Kingfisher bow shows that very well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:53:09 pm by PatM »

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 02:14:33 pm »
look's real nice Eric, I've put curly maple underlays with horn tip overlays I got no problem with it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 04:15:38 pm »
The overlays are glued on with urac, bomb proof stuff. The thickness of the lower one is paper thin so I suspect it will flex with the bow.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 04:55:51 pm »
That is one sexy lookin tip, Eric. I can't wait to see the whole thing!! :P
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline 4dog

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 05:04:28 pm »
not so far outta the box as this!! 
"SET" is always there !!!