Author Topic: Source for cow sinew?  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Source for cow sinew?
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:10:51 pm »
Saw a video of a guy using cow sinew he got from his butcher.  Got the sense that the price was nominal....and he claims that some great experienced bowyers told him it is no different from deer or elk.

True?   How different is it?  Where to get it if your local butcher only resells meat?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:51:27 pm by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline JonW

Re: Purcell for cow sinew?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »
I have used cow leg tendons. It's a little greasy but cleans up with dish soap. Works like any other.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:55:28 pm »
I used it on the last short sinew backed osage static I built that made BOM. I like the way it worked. It made nice ribbons once dipped in the glue and it laid down smoothly. I got it already shredded and cleaned.  ;D  I think you can get it from Chinese or Asian food stores. I'm gonna use cow sinew on my next sinew backed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

Re: Source for cow sinew?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:08:47 pm »
Must be strong to carry that big ole cow around. I have some but haven't tried it yet.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:45:59 am »
I've used it on two bows, and started a very similar thread about it, and there have been a few more since. Just search "cow sinew" or "beef sinew".   I feel like the general consensus about it is:  Greasier than deer tendons, and slightly harder to process due to a thicker and more durable sheath.  Other than that, sinew is sinew. 

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 02:09:16 pm »
I used it on the last short sinew backed osage static I built that made BOM. I like the way it worked. It made nice ribbons once dipped in the glue and it laid down smoothly. I got it already shredded and cleaned.  ;D  I think you can get it from Chinese or Asian food stores. I'm gonna use cow sinew on my next sinew backed bow.

Really?  what form is it in?  dried whole tendons?

Where to get some?

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 02:15:08 pm »
You can use dog chews from a pet store but you have to be careful what you buy. Make sure it says tendon. Some of them are oven dried and just smash when you hammer them. But I have found some good ones. You'll notice that I am deliberately ignoring the bull penis thing ::) ::)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 02:18:12 pm »
Cows? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 02:20:23 pm »
've never bought it so I don't know if it is dried or fresh.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 02:57:18 pm »
I have used cow or beef sinew. The first one I used I bought at a pet store that was being sold as a dog chew. It was about a dollar each and was already dried and individually wrapped. I did gave to wash them with a little dawn and they were a little tough but made some nice strips. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 11:18:54 pm »
The kind you find in an Asian grocery will be fresh, typically, and require some processing to remove the actual tendon part.  I've seen the dog chews online, but never in a grocery store.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:37 pm »
PetSmart in Canada has the dried tendons with no processing(flavoring etc)..

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 08:51:37 am »
Thanks guys found both.  Local butcher can order the fresh floppy tendons.  There is a tendon soup on the Asian menue, hence why they sell it at the grocery.

I think the dog chews will be the way to go.  I've heard they can be "mislabeled" but You guys have guided me to the right stuff.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 12:09:35 pm »
There's a big outfit in Texas that makes and ships tendon chews all over the world. I contacted them and they said they "irradiated" theirs for shipping. Anyway when I smacked it with a hammer it shattered like glass. I guess what I'm saying is buy one and try it first. Don't go out and buy 20 dog chews and then find out they're no good to you. Unless you have a dog or two of course. ;D