Author Topic: First red of the season  (Read 4577 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
First red of the season
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:18:29 pm »
I know that in my area red squirrels do not have a season, open year round, but I usually wait until my belly growles for squirrels and regular squirrels season is a go. I went out this morning looking to clear my woods in preparation for deer season and this barking fool was up and down a spruce tree screaching but not at me... I got in to about 10-15 yards and called to him. He circled around the tree and stopped just when I did at full draw. THWACK, didnt even twitch, just dropped about 8 feet and laid there. I was aiming for his eye as he looked at me. Ended up with a head shot, that is why he has a little leaf hat (kind of popped the skull).

This was a great time and very good practice for slow movement and picking a good point of aim. I was using my trade bow from Bushboy (thank you sooooooooososososososo much again) and an arrow I made, broke, and re-furbished into a blunt tip with an old socket head and a small piece of steel rod inserted. Fletchings are wild turkey and canadian goose for the hens. Silencers are a gift from Auggie (again thank you, they work perfectly!). Thanks for viewing
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline bushboy

Re: First red of the season
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:36:34 pm »
Very cool neo!if you can shot a tree rat in the eye at that range pity help a deer!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:49:38 pm »
Some kinda shot.  attaboy!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:39:53 pm »
I probably should have mentioned all the arrows I missed other squirrels with...
Thanks guys, especially you Bushboy! If I had this bow sooner, there would have been a lot less curses echoing through the woods of NY!!!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 01:14:19 pm »
Awesome